• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Does anyone else here think the Pathfinder section of the forum is sorta lacking? Seems like it's used more for publisher updates than anything.

If you think that is lacking then look at the Storyhour section. I may not update for a month and I'm still on page one- near the top.

The problem with watching Heroes on DvD is that it makes it easier to spot aborted story lines and plot holes ,what really ruined Heroes IMO is the writer's strike and it never fully recovered from that. I did like season 3 Vols 3 and 4,season 4 was okay not great but i enjoyed it just not as much seasons 1 and 3. I do look forward to Heroes Reborn,even if i am sad that there wont be Sylar.

Not many of the original caste will return. But still looking forward to it.

I remember thinking and plotting so many storylines for that show. Powers that would be easy to CGI or didn't even require CGI. Aw well. Somewhere I still plot ideas for X-Files.

Hmmmm...... seems there are few original ideas for movies and now I see the same pattern for TV as well. So much for creativity. If you grew up in the 80's and 90's then you HAVE seen and heard it all.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hollywood is run by cowards & hacks right now. There's all kinds of brilliant fiction that hasn't been optioned, and I'm sure there are writers capable of producing new and interesting scripts still walking the earth.

Yet we're getting retreads- admittedly, some quite needed...and good- instead of new stories. On the rare occasions when the studios stick their necks out to try something different, they almost invariably either let a hack handle the property or they botch the publicity, resulting in a flop.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Hollywood is run by cowards & hacks right now. There's all kinds of brilliant fiction that hasn't been optioned, and I'm sure there are writers capable of producing new and interesting scripts still walking the earth.

Yet we're getting retreads- admittedly, some quite needed...and good- instead of new stories. On the rare occasions when the studios stick their necks out to try something different, they almost invariably either let a hack handle the property or they botch the publicity, resulting in a flop.

You need to learn to speak your mind instead of beating around the bush.

There are times I think I should go into movie writing. I can do awesome plot work but my scripts suck. Can't be any worse than 50% of the TVs and Movies coming out these days.

Scotley

Hero
I find it really challenging to find anything original and interesting to watch. I used to love the history channel back when they actually had history rather than aliens, ghosts and 'reality' shows. I liked Backstrom and it didn't get renewed. I wonder if it is because I've reached the age where I'm no longer in most advertisers' target demographic. A lot of the fantasy/scifi that is getting made is targeted at Teen Girls. I'm glad that it is being made, but I'd love to see something for the rest of us. I really hoped the success for lord of the rings and the Hobbit movies as well as Game of Thrones would herald a golden age of fantasy movies and TV shows, but instead we are getting the aforementioned retreads. I am excited about Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on BBC America. Maybe my expectations are too high? Ender's game is one of my favorite books, but the movie was kinda meh to me.

Where are the works of Patrick Rothfus and Brandon Sanderson? I guess we've missed the window for some of the books of my youth. I remember when speculation about who could play the various Princes of Amber was all over the internet. What about Fafard the the Grey Mouser? Maybe some Gene Wolfe? Okay, bringing the 'Book of the New Sun' to the big screen might be tough. What about some Lois Bujold? Curse of Chalion could make an amazing movie. Anyway, what would the rest of you like to see?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
It has actually been a while since I've really done much reading, but here's a few things off the top of my head:

Wheel of Time series could make for an AWESOME series.

I always liked the Farseer series by Robin Hobb. It is a relatively slow-paced series and I don't know how well it would go in video form, but the story and the world was fascinating. I still remember reading and coming across the Forged Ones and was just totally blown away by how it was done. "They'd demanding a ransom for the prisoners?" "No, they're demanding a ransom or they'll return the prisoners." That moment was just like wtf...

Ciaphas Cain series, Eisenhorn series, Horus Heresy series, and Gaunt's Ghost Series. As soon as I started reading the WH40K books, I totally got involved in them. I know there was a lame movie made for the setting, but it managed to not capture pretty much anything of the universe, IMO. Most of what I've read makes the universe just feel totally epic and the movie didn't give me that. I love how ships are described as being like MILES long containing millions of people and I still remember the description of one of those ships crashing into this cathedral in a city and the cathedral was so massive that it housed like a billion people that all died in the explosion. I know just adding zeroes doesn't always make for an epic story, but I always thought these were done well.

I know there's probably others I'm forgetting, but those are just a few off the top of my head.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads