• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

Mad_Jack

Legend
After an ice-breaking excavation effort of the sort usually reserved for ships lost in the arctic, my car is finally free of being trapped in my father's girlfriend's driveway. We finally chipped enough ice off the damn driveway (and enough of it melted) that I was able to keep traction up the whole driveway hill to the dirt road and then up the little hill in the road before it flattens out...

It only took four damn days. Yay me.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Been there, done that.

A few years ago, Dallas/Ft Worth got hit by an ice storm. We had a layer of ice on our walkway & (inclined) driveway 4-7" thick. A similarly thick layer entombed my dad's car. The chain on our gate was encased in ice an inch thick which threatened to break it with the weight. THAT we had to use pots of boiling water to melt.

Like you, our excavation took days.

Hell- the snow that fell on top of the ice was so hardened that I could walk across it without leaving a mark like Legolas. I weigh 260lbs.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I remember an ice storm like that back in 1992/93 in Missouri and then there was the pre Christmas freeze of -30/ wind chill -80. worked for the cable company back then. There was a 15 minute/ teams of 2 requirement for outside work.

Mad_Jack

Legend
The sad part is the ice wasn't even that bad. It was just the fact that the driveway and road were both so steep that my tires couldn't get any traction on the ice... Right up until we got the ice off, I was going nowhere. As soon as enough of the ice was gone, I drove right up like it was nothing.

In the course of cleaning out my old man's girlfriend's place, I've come across two red metal 1950's era Eagle gas cans, a couple of 1950's candy tins, some old Kodak colored camera lens filters, and a big stack of books - nearly all of the Time-Life The Enchanted World series and several of the Mysteries of the Unknown books as well.
I also found a bunch of a hardback art journal called Horizon from the 1960's, and several old high-end art books from the same period...

There's also an old industrial drill press, and then the US Civil War era Austrian M1854 Lorenz bayonet they found awhile back.

In my own basement, I just came across a 1999 Brass Key Collectibles 16-inch "Sock Hop featuring Cindy Lou" doll from their "Dancing through the Centuries" collection.
My mom would have picked it up when it came out - she used to own a poodle skirt and drive a blue t-bird when she was a teenager, and til the day she died she still screamed when she saw Elvis...

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Ice, you say?

[video=youtube;rog8ou-ZepE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE[/video]

Last edited:

Mad_Jack

Legend
The good news for today is that it's going to get up into the 50's this weekend temperature-wise.

The bad news is that this will also be the temperature in his house all weekend, as Jack is out of heating oil and won't be getting any until Monday.

Jack would be much happier if his life were much less interesting lately.

Remove ads