• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Harassment in gaming

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I know you consider it gauche to actually read up on something before forming an opinion, so you'll have to trust me on this.

What you *should* know is that insulting people isn't allowed, that making the discussion personal on these boards is a Bad Idea.

If you do know it, you chose not to use that knowledge here.

Please don't post in the thread again. You should also probably avoid the other thread, and this topic in general, as well.

Everyone - Morrus and I were away for a couple of days, so I have some catch-up to do on these threads. But, do take it as a given that these threads call for you to remain polite. Those are the rules of this place. Abide by them, please.

Dire Bare

Legend
I'm not saying bad behavior should be excused, not at all! But social awkward is often seen as bad behavior, and often taken as offensive. The staring is often more like a deer staring into the truck headlights that is about to run it over, on the other hand, I'm sure that some are certainly leering. The inappropriate comments are often of the caliber "That sounded way better in my head! I should shut up now! Can I make myself any smaller or invisible...".

I can totally see why many girls/boys react negatively to the awkward nerd/geek, very few boys or girls are 'wise' in that regard at that age, or any age for that matter...

But the article isn't about 'bad' behavior, it's about explicit criminal behavior: sexual assault/rape/dead threats. Those things go way, way beyond bad behavior.

The Aboriginal woman that went to buy a miniature is just a sad situation. Things to never say to a customer, the sad thing is that those kinda folks work all over the world, such positions are often filled by the cheapest labor available. And let's be honest, who wants to work at a game store but a gamer, for all those math nerds, there's just as many morons in the gaming 'cult'...

While I think we disagree somewhat, I think we probably agree more than we disagree. I wasn't so much posting a rebuttal to your comment, but using it to take my own thoughts forward.

"Awkward" behavior is not the same thing as "bad" behavior, certainly, although sometimes it can be interpreted in that way. Kids (or adults) shouldn't be called out on simply being awkward, although coaching to improve social skills might be warranted. But sometimes, awkward kids can certainly engage in bad behavior, from minor insults all the way up to harassing and intimidating behavior, and it often stems from them being socially awkward and feeling the pain of being constantly misunderstood.

Awkward behavior needs to be coached, so that the awkward person learns how to interact with folks more positively and stands less chance of being misunderstood as creepy. Bad behavior (regardless of the degree), needs to be called out, stopped, and appropriate consequences applied . . . even if it stems from a person's position as being socially awkward. Now, I'm not saying consequences always need to be punitive . . . consequences for bad behavior can include coaching, counseling, mentoring, some sort of rehabilitation to try and reach the offender and get them to understand why their behavior is wrong. Just punishing them often reinforces their lone-wolf mentality and doesn't always curb the behavior.

Dire Bare

Legend
This is very strange. I cannot see the last ten pages or so of this thread.

I'm having the same problem in both "harassment" threads. And others have mentioned it as well. I don't think we're missing some of the conversation, it's just a weird bug. I think.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just a quick note, folks. There's a bug affecting this and some other longer threads right now making some pages inaccessible to some users. Working on it. This thread seems to be the worst affected. Then again, if you're affected, you can't see this...

Xvartslayer

First Post
SNIP

However, the beauty industry doesn't really exist because some women enjoy showing off their charms. The western beauty industry could probably be traced back to (or before) the time when aristocrats of both genders men were wearing powdered wigs and makeup, and the beauty industry generally profits from making women feel like their natural looks are inferior, and that they need cosmetics to look acceptable. This is reinforced by the various beauty images seen in film, marketing, fashion magazines, etc.

This is not just true. I encourage you to research the subject. Heck, watch Downtown Abbey or the Devil Wear's Prada to get a sense of how what you are saying has no relation to reality.

You know that women are strongly represented in the beauty industry, right? Do you appreciate what you are saying about a woman who chooses a career in beauty or fashion?

Remove ads