• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hardbounditis

Hmm?

• Hardbacks are sexy.

Votes: 112 69.6%
  • I'm not made of money!

Votes: 31 19.3%
  • I don't like it, but I'm a chump so I still buy them all.

Votes: 14 8.7%
  • I only buy PDF products. Down with dead-tree publishing!

Votes: 4 2.5%

The Traveler

First Post
WotC most definitely has it. White Wolf seems to have caught it as almost all the new World of Darkness books are hardbound even if they're slender enough to be paperback.

What do you think of it? Does it provide a higher-quality product, or is it just an excuse to charge more?

Psion

Adventurer
The Traveler said:
What do you think of it? Does it provide a higher-quality product, or is it just an excuse to charge more?

What it is is a reaction to the fact that hardbounds seems to sell better.

I like my softbounds, but I do admit that I have to take measures to protect mine if I use them frequently (you can tell which softbacks I use the most because I'll coat them with contact paper); hardbounds do wear better.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Do they actually make more profit for hardbacks? I thought the price scaled up the same.

I just like hardbacks, though. They seem more bookish.

Crothian

First Post
From what I have heard the profit margin on them is higher, but it also costs more to make so if the book is a flop they also can loose more.

I like hardbounds as they stand up to time better. Plus they relaly aren;t that much more expensive then the softbounds of similar size these days.

Lord Foul

First Post
IMO hardbound are the only way to go. On game day I can just dump them in my bag and go. The paperback ones I have to pack just right so I will not damage them. I try to leave the paperback ones home but if the house that we are playing at doesn't have a copy then I carefully pack them and hope they stay in good shape.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
The Traveler said:
WotC most definitely has it. White Wolf seems to have caught it as almost all the new World of Darkness books are hardbound even if they're slender enough to be paperback.
Yeah. And GURPS, now. And Feng Shui had even before all of these.

RSKennan

Explorer
My understanding is that publishers sell more copies when a book is hard-bound. My own preference fits with that. I'd pay more for hardcover- who wants to have to replace a well-used book down the line? Aside from being more durable, it's more pleasant IMO to hold a hardcover book -it's more substantial, and doesn't flop around as much when reading on a long trip or whatever.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
I'd actually like to see more novel-size RPGs like Burning Wheel or Capes. That way you can easily carry them around and read them in the subway or while waiting at the doctor's office. The big hardcovers with lots of white space and big font are such ripoffs (not all hardcovers are ripoffs just these type). Hardcovers are nice to read at home though and I do like their feel, but if I'm paying for a hardcover it better be justified. Is the binding good enough? Is there enough text to require a big book. Those 150 page hardcovers are really a marketing tactic. One that seems to work though.

Remove ads