Harn

Harn is an RPG from the 70s & 80s. How popular is it now?

• Never heard of it.

Votes: 23 13.3%
  • I've seen some setting stuff for it?

Votes: 68 39.3%
  • I played it once or twice.

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • I play it regularly or at least I'd like to.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I've used the setting but never the rules.

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 7 4.0%

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
You can get it straight from the source, or there are other places it crops up too. Noble Knight, perhaps. Amazon, most likely.

There is a second source though pdf only and with limited ‘world’ product.

I’ve been buying from both CGI and Kelestia for years. Both are tiny companies (CGI is three people, Kelestia is smaller! But, both are friendly and have excellent after-sales service .

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
JoseFreitas said:
We should agree to disagree, then.

Fine :)

JoseFreitas said:
On the schedule, I will defer to your knowledge. I would add though, that sometimes "releases" is a loose sheaf of 12-20 pages, a pretty light product.

CGI release one to three “HârnQuests” per year. These might be one 38 page article or a collection of two or three articles (usually 40+ pages in total). I admit that I got to the higher figure by adding up the number of individual articles. I confused myself, sorry. There are also other releases, like the recent Interactice atlas of Kanday, which maps a kingdom using CC2 (and ‘Mappa Hârnica’).

JoseFreitas said:
But take my criticisms as the ramblings of someone who loves the setting and would REALLY like it to be treated better. I've said it before, but I think that if it was to survive, some sort of "real" sourcebook should come out compiling a lot of this material. But I guess it's probably not a priority for Columbia.

You are NOT the only person who thinks this. The bottom line is that Hârn is controlled by two Grumpy Old Men (no – I’m not one of them – but if the cap fits…) who have fallen out with each other over some fairly minor issues, and fairly small sums of money.

JoseFreitas said:
I have never bought Kelestia's products because I have a sort of "cultural bias" against PDF-only products, although I have been tempted to buy the Bestiary and Chelemby.
I am very sorry about NRC. That's always horrible news.

I like Keléstia’s products, though so far they have done nothing on the island of Hârn, concentrating on the Kingdom of Chélemby. NRC likes accents, so all products (like Evánekin, Kolâdis and Kèthîra) are full of them. I’d recommend Kèthîra (the entire world). However, be warned that it’s published to be printed in landscape (which IMO looks horrible) and I’m a little dubious about some of the climate zones.

JoseFreitas said:
As for the whole adaptability of Harn to various systems. I would agree that Harn is low magic, and perhaps low-heroics... but you can play Harn with D20 or AD&D or whatever. This has been extensively discussed by fans at Lythia. Of the D20 products I would reccommend using Game of Thrones, but that's just an opinion. If you play with D20 or AD&D you will need to do lots of adaptations, and it won't be the regular Harn world... so what? Every world changes when taken over by a GM. It will still be a kickass world, especially if you tone down the magic and so on. But you can have more monsters, more magic than the published material and still use it.

I agree. I’ve seen several write ups of campaigns where numerous DnD monsters were imported. They seem to work.

Most folk on the Hârn Forum will try to help, though they can get a little short with those who make major changes to the setting. To be fair, this is sometimes because the original poster fails to make these changes clear at the outset.

Remove ads