• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Has 4E lost its sense of wonder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiznit

Explorer
When I first heard about 4E, I was skeptical and somewhat disappointed that it was coming out so soon after 3.75, right when I really felt like the D20 market was stabilizing somewhat.

Then I thought about it and heard about some of the stuff they were doing and trying to fix and I really got kind of excited about it, and wondering whether it would be a good jot of energy that the RPG industry might be needing.

But these days, I'm just not feeling it so much. I sort of miss those halcyon days of bitter vitriol or those eager days of anticipation (when I spent that desperate week, trying to become a playtester... Ah, that seemed like years ago now, but it was like dancing in fields of clover, listening to podcasts). I get that sense from other people, and from reading the boards, that maybe I'm not alone.

Do you think that we can bring back those glory days of 4E when people felt, you know, really passionate about it? Or are they lost forever?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm not sure what you mean.

There have always been people apprehensive about 4e. For years before it came out, actually.

There have always been people who have looked forward to seeing what it would bring.

At the moment, we're still in very early days.

Cheers!

Aus_Snow

First Post
I was under the impression that sense of wonder had jumped the shark.

But then, I am rather impressionable. ;)

hopeless

Adventurer
Yes I understand what you mean

kiznit said:
When I first heard about 4E, I was skeptical and somewhat disappointed that it was coming out so soon after 3.75, right when I really felt like the D20 market was stabilizing somewhat.
Then I thought about it and heard about some of the stuff they were doing and trying to fix and I really got kind of excited about it, and wondering whether it would be a good jot of energy that the RPG industry might be needing.
But these days, I'm just not feeling it so much. I sort of miss those halcyon days of bitter vitriol or those eager days of anticipation (when I spent that desperate week, trying to become a playtester... Ah, that seemed like years ago now, but it was like dancing in fields of clover, listening to podcasts). I get that sense from other people, and from reading the boards, that maybe I'm not alone.
Do you think that we can bring back those glory days of 4E when people felt, you know, really passionate about it? Or are they lost forever?

I know what you mean, I've listened to that podcast about monsters at least a half dozen times and am still left wondering whether they can actually understand what they're saying.

Back when I was first introduced to d&d around when 1st edition was too expensive to buy but you could borrow from the local library (after ordering it) and the expert set had only been released I got my own copy of the basic set for xmas as a present from my great aunt and it took me 1 hour to read through the players guide and then 6 months to work my way through the dungeon masters guide mostly because I had noone to play with at that time.

I pretty much used the fantasy gamebook series from Ian Livingstone & Steve Jackson as a guideline to creating adventures and eventually mnaged to photocopy my own copy of the 1st edition phb before I coudl afford to buy my own copies.
Well even 2e didn't phase my interest and 3.0 was the same, not even the first d&d movie ruined it even though I blamed Wayans more rather than the rest of the cast (except the bit about Beholders though!).
I was resistant to 3.5 at first and even Eberrron but I bought both and many other books as I loved the Final Fantasy side of it even though it has always been descibed as being more pulp than anime derived.
4e cut me short, they had cancelled both Dragon and Dungeon magazines I had stopped collecting ages ago as I really couldn't see myself using the info they provided and then they chose to release 4e and yet had already stripped themselves of the one thing that helped them launch 3.0 and 3.5... to me this was wrong.
Even now they're saying they're rereleasing it on the internet but whilst I signed up it was for more info on this games table something that interests me a great deal but they just don't seem to understand the people they're trying to keep interested.
Points of Light might make a good premise but not if you leave them standing looking around at an empty bookstore.
I look at the news of the changes in FR and think that could have been handled better, the changes they revealed in their latest FR periodical or grand history isn't something I would have touched but thats the point, its the fact its so unattractive thats whats caught your attention.
They should be making it accessible, it might be too early but why release that mess now when it whould have been released after the Shadowfell adventure?
I bought the first quest, intro to d&d and even the Mystara boxed sets and found them interesting even if first quest and the intro to d&d were pretty much the same thing with different cover to the box, they have released nothing other than that teaser video to interest me in 4e...
And I can't see them doing any better!

Take care and all the best!

RandomCitizenX

First Post
I know that I have said this in other threads, but 4e has me excited about D&D for the first time in a while. MY RPing has been filled with the superhero antics of Mutants & Masterminds as well as the horror of nWoD and Deadlands: Reloaded. No ammount of planning or discussing the prospect of a D&D game was able to excite me, until 4th edition news started slowly making its way. Now I find myself plotting what I am going to do when I bring my new set of players to an updated version of the homebrew my group used at the beginning of 3e. There is just something nice and shiny about a new edition of an RPG that is done well. I can pour over all the new ideas and just let them soak in to spark some creativity. Now if only I could stop thinking about it long enough to get my company stuff together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads