Has Enworld ever made a giant group campaign setting?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Jürgen Hubert said:
The problem is maintaining interest for longer durations. I mean, Tempest was doing very well for some time - but now contributions have fallen to zero. The fate of most other collaborative online worlds has been similar.

Ideally, there should be a core group of people that isn't just willing to help develop it, but also run campaigns in it - that should help maintain interest for longer periods.

The other problem might be scope. If you have X number of people who hit the ground running in Y different countries/continents/etc -- it's kind of hard to reconcile ideas. Having creation focus on one small-ish geographic area or concept at a time might work better than a free for all. For instance, Graveworld (a demi-plane) was going strong until the Spring crash that wiped the forums (that killed it quickly).

I think the key to its initial success (however shortlived) was that I set up a basic set of rules for contributions in the first post, which resulted in contributions that complimented each other from there on out -- thus, they were easy to reconcile with one another. We didn't have things that were inappropriate for the concept or wildy different ideas that made no sense when held up next to each other.

This consistency seemed to generate a steady stream of contributions.

Yair

Community Supporter
Jürgen Hubert said:
The problem is maintaining interest for longer durations. I mean, Tempest was doing very well for some time - but now contributions have fallen to zero. The fate of most other collaborative online worlds has been similar.

Ideally, there should be a core group of people that isn't just willing to help develop it, but also run campaigns in it - that should help maintain interest for longer periods.
Indeed.

Turanil

First Post
BRP2 said:
The map you linked above is pretty cool (and unique). Just a quick question, I don't see a scale there, how big is it compared to like... Europe (or any other real life land mass).
There is a portion of Norway on the map's bottom. Me I would use that for a scale reference.

jdrakeh said:
I set up a basic set of rules for contributions in the first post, which resulted in contributions that complimented each other from there on out.
Could you post this set of rules so I can use them? (either on this thread or this one Hyperborea thread). Thanks. :)

BRP2 said:
I don't really want low-magic, just magic that has some limits... like no Divination spells or Teleport spells being able to get you anywhere so easily. I'd go as far to say making a setting based on the Iron Heroes system with a well-developed, unpenalized magic system (I've seen some awesome variants) would be a good idea.
I am willing to try a thread like that (I would start it this week). World will be Hyperborea, with a set of constraints as the world is Lovecraft/Howard in flavor, and doesn't have spellcasting priests per se (so most suited system would be Iron Heroes, Arcana Evolved, True20, or like systems without specific spellcasting priest classes). And I agree on the limit put on Divination and Teleport.

Felix

Explorer
Lalato was running NPC creation contest threads a few years ago for "Mor's End", a city setting, although I haven't seen anything since then. I'm sure there's a lot of work done on it somewhere, though I couldn't point you in a direction. Maybe in the Gaming Action forum you may find some stuff...

Alternatively:

*Casts Summon Lalato IV*

It takes a while to warm up. :)

Crothian

First Post
I can't believe someone remembers Sharkworld. It failed because of eventually lack of energy on people and myself. It started strong and had some cool ideas but it faltered fast.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Crothian said:
I can't believe someone remembers Sharkworld. It failed because of eventually lack of energy on people and myself. It started strong and had some cool ideas but it faltered fast.

I enjoyed Sharkworld - and I've subsequently used the Aquasphere (gnome/Blue goblin submersible colony) that I submitted to it

I know somebody has archived the Mors End stuff and used it in their homebrew (I just can't remember who)

Okay next stop Hyperborea

Remove ads