Has Enworld ever made a giant group campaign setting?

BRP2

First Post
Has it happened?
Has it worked?
Could it work?

For example, if a map of Europe was taken and all of its geological and political features were stripped(along with the rest of the world) and replaced by a setting that was crafted by a large group of members of the forum. There would be some guidelines(low-magic, high-magic, races, ect) pre-set and everyone just goes and create each area with detail under a focused organized overview.

Just something that popped into my head the other day.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Well, there was Daemonforge, but I believe it is not defunct and I am not sure where all the stuff they came up with ended up. . .

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Yes the Enworld Community has done this a number of times those which I recall (and participated in) include:

The City of En
Sharkworld
a few creative exercises (Aleasana comes to mind)
Cressia (actually a study in the development of magic in warfare that expanded and which I have used as a setting for play)

Some of these are archived somewhere

anyway it has been done, can be done and is fun. Unfortunately noone has as yet picked the ideas up and formalised them for publication

Enkhidu

Explorer
el-remmen said:
Well, there was Daemonforge, but I believe it is not defunct and I am not sure where all the stuff they came up with ended up. . .

IIRC, Daemonforge was the backbone of Morrus' original site when Eric handed the reins over to him.

BRP2

First Post
Anyone who has seen these projects happen or been in them, what would you say are the biggest issues in them? Or what were the biggest benefits?

You think Enworld would be up for it again?

JDragon

Explorer
I'm not a 100% on this, it would take some of the old timers to confirm.

But as I remember it, making something for a campaign (maybe a city) is how Morrus got the message boards started. I know I visited Eric's site daily from with in a few days of the announcement about 3e at GenCon in '99.

But it was a while (3-4 months) after the boards started before I started visiting.

I could also just be getting old and confused. :p

JD

Remove ads