• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has WoTC announced any ebooks yet?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Ater the whole taking down of PDFs I remember WoTC talking about some digital initiatives, selling the fiction line through various ebooks etc...

Has there been any progress made on that front? Any progress made on restoring some type of legal e-book?

I'm moving and man, I have to tell you, physical media is a bitch. Getting to old to carry it around when I move even if it's only every 5-10 years. :-S

Elton Robb

Explorer
I hope they bring old products back after they pulled them. But I'm skeptical and still angry at them for it. I figured I'd better do something about it so I've officially joined the Free Culture movement.

But I'm actually happy that they released some of their fiction. :)

I just wish that they would allow the older books (anything prior to 3E) to be sold as PDF's again. I really doubt that pirated PDF's of these books were eating in to their profit margins. They were just the unfortunate collateral damage of the pirated 4E books saga. Heck, the goodwill generated by allowing the older books to be sold as PDF's again could actually increase their profits.

There was so much good stuff in the older PDF's, yet the only way to get a hold of them electronically now is illegal torrents. That is sad.

Olaf the Stout

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I just wish that they would allow the older books (anything prior to 3E) to be sold as PDF's again. I really doubt that pirated PDF's of these books were eating in to their profit margins. They were just the unfortunate collateral damage of the pirated 4E books saga. Heck, the goodwill generated by allowing the older books to be sold as PDF's again could actually increase their profits.

There was so much good stuff in the older PDF's, yet the only way to get a hold of them electronically now is illegal torrents. That is sad.

Olaf the Stout

They didn't remove old edition pdfs to thwart piracy, they did it to eliminate the "competetion" and actually thought it would cause some of us "holdouts" to go to 4E, since it was at least still putting out books.

Screw 'em. While it would be nice if the books and pdfs were out there to get new players to see them and start learning 3E and older editions, at least there's the SRD and Osric for that. And doing that left me very bitter, I wouldn't buy a 3E product from them again even if they did reverse policy. I'm not very familiar with how torrents work, but I'm a fast learner when necessary.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Well here's my own personal take. The next time I move, if WoTC hasn't announced some sort of digital initiative that enables me to get my books in digital format, I'll be cutting the spines out of mine and making PDF's of 'em. I've got stuff going back to the 80's and it's just not getting physically moved again regardless of what fears WoTC is fighting in the public arena at the time. :rant:

But the step of ebooks for the fiction line, which probably make a great deal MORE money, seems to be a step in the right direction. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads