• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Has WotC hit its stride?

Tony Vargas

Legend
It seems to me that the last several releases from WotC have all met with considerable praise, each one picking up sound bites along the lines of "best 4e book yet!"
Best 4e book since Dark Sun or something, I might understand. ;) D&D has definitely been failing to deliver, starting, I'd say, with the PH3, but really showing in Essentials and hitting rock-bottom with Heroes of Shadow.

It does seem like they've finally gotten their act together after the disruption with Essentials, the product cancelations, and the utter drek that was HoS.

Maybe you could say they've emparked upon a 'new new direction,' one that isn't totally backwards. Essentials, HoS, and the MME were all just re-treading and re-designing already-covered ground to give the game a more nostalgic (and, incidentally, less balanced) feel, and the attitude seemed to be to leave everything that came before behind and wish it had never existed. Neverwinter was a better-done product, but was still playing the Essentials+ game with things like the Bladesinger, while showing hints of better things with Themes.

Heroes of the Feywild shows real evidence of a renewed acknowledgement that quality can't be allowed to drop entirely by the wayside, and that 4e can't succeed by just trying desperately to feel like AD&D - it has to continue to be 4e and to improve upon (or at least not actively wreck) 4e's accomplishments, as well. It seems like they've listened to the more valid criticisms of Essentials and HoS, and made HotFw more nearly compatible with 4e core, and less disruptive of game balance.

Last edited:

Really? Surely all that any class needs is their Inherent bonuses taken care of, via '+' items or inherent bonuses?

Am I missing some important part of the game here? :erm:

Has nothing to do with pluses. It has to do with their monumental uselessness as a striker without the right implement enchantments.

keterys

First Post
I think that other classes lose at least as much by loss of access to stuff (Vanguard, Armbands, Frost, Radiant, dragonshards, etc)... probably more to be honest.

Warlock problems are mostly just their powers, not their items. Or possibly other class's powers.

I think that other classes lose at least as much by loss of access to stuff (Vanguard, Armbands, Frost, Radiant, dragonshards, etc)... probably more to be honest.

Warlock problems are mostly just their powers, not their items. Or possibly other class's powers.

Yes, but Warlocks in particular were neigh incapable of doing anything useful in heroic tier without decent implements, which PHB1 didn't manage to provide in general. Other classes may lose just as much, but they were already able to fill their roles for the most part. There are however a number of 'glue' type items in both AVs that are quite desirable to have in the game, like songbows for instance. If you hypothesize MME as the single published source for items going forward you NEED those items in there.

Warlocks are only one obvious example where there are some specific item dependencies. Sure, powers could be designed to fix any given class, but that also assumes that the player has access to whatever source those are in, etc. Items are often a more reliable way to fix things, especially since the DM can hand them out regardless of player power picks. It is just added ways to get where you need to be.

keterys

First Post
Eh, a lot of those other classes are a lot more item dependent. Iron Armbands, Horned Helm, Superior Weapons, Vanguard, etc.

I'm just not sold on that theory.

As far as items being a reliable way to address balance problems. Oh, hell no. That's way worse than a feat, which is worse than a class feature. Way too much variance in whether it's taken, and a potential source for DM-PC antipathy. "But, what do you mean I can't find Claw Gloves!?" "No one makes 'em, sorry"

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Really? I haven't heard anything good about MME.
Then it's probably a case of being selective about what you hear, because there have been several threads here praising it, including one which I started upon first reading it. I've also read multiple positive reviews after that.

I will back up the OP's premise here. Really looking forward to the continued quality in the upcoming products.

S'mon

Legend
Has nothing to do with pluses. It has to do with their monumental uselessness as a striker without the right implement enchantments.

Can you give me an example or two of what items you think are necessary for them to function, so I can look it up?

I don't normally allow free purchase of items IMCs, nor do I use wish lists, so this is quite important.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads