Has your GM shocked you lately?

Remathilis

Legend
WayneLigon said:
Probably the biggest shock came in a Call of Cthulhu game. We were, as players, a little jaded. The GM had thrown innumerable cosmic horrors and devious plot twists at us long-timers and while our characters behaved appropriately, the edge was perhaps off for us, a bit.

Right up until the Baskerville case. Yes, those Baskervilles. We were thinking the infamous Hound was a hound of Tindalos or somesuch, and so we didn't pay all that much attention to how creepy the family was. My character at some point needed to look up some family history and found a couple fundamental disconnects in the last generation. "Wait.. these.. OK, these are misprints. Huh. Usually you don't misprint something like death and birth dates...."

Then, in a wheezing interview with the old maiden aunt who lived in the attic we found out how Roger Baskerville was spurned at the altar by his bride-to-be, and she raced out into the moor only to trip and drown in the swamps. Roger, though, was determined that there be a wedding.. and so there was. And nine months later, Roger Jr. was born...

That realization sent the players up out of their chairs, shaking heads, rubbing eyes, going to the kitchen, out for a walk, etc.

Permission to YOINK, sir.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Herobizkit said:
I have to admit, I don't get what the spooky part is. Care to enlighten?

"Yeah, I told the priest to leave off the 'death do us part' part."

"She didn't survive the delivery. Actually, she didn't survive the conception..."

"Everyone has a mommy. Mine is also a mummy."

-- N

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Sagiro totally suckered us - again! - last game. The perpetrator of a nefarious and deadly plot turned out to be a NPC who was a PC's best friend when the campaign started, and we just saw less of her once we started adventuring. Turns out she had been recruited by the bad guys...

...so now she's a foe, but still an old and dear friend. That resolution is going to make for some interesting role playing.

Nareau

Explorer
Sigh, I'm afraid I no longer have the ability to shock my players. We recently had this exchange at the gaming table:

GM: Three huge larvae burst out of the pile of rotting corpses. They have big, black eyes and pincers that drip with slime. They all attack!
PC: Wait...how can they all attack me? They're huge, right?
GM: Well, not technically "huge". They're about 4' long.
PC: OH! Pfffft. 4-foot-long maggots. Here I was thinking they were big.

Spider

sniffles

First Post
Wow, thread necromancy! :)

I guess I must be easily shocked. I think it helps that I'm not jaded about roleplaying - even though I'm the oldest player in the group, I'm also one of the least experienced. I don't have the Monster Manuals memorized. ;)

I was pretty shocked two weeks ago when our party (in my first story hour, see my sig) was transported to the solar barque of Horus-Re. Now we have to wait two more weeks to find out what happens next!!

I was also pretty shocked in another campaign (second story hour) when my PC received a new Heroic Path absorbed from a murdered woman and then learned that woman had been pregnant at the time of her death.

Remove ads