• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro CEO Chris Cox, "I would say that the underlying thesis of our D&D business is all about digital,”

All in on digital?

Goodness, they never learn do they. I love how the WotC staff keeps claiming that their sole concern is acting as the caretaker for the D&D brand. And then you get the investors' call where the cold hard truth is revealed: that they want to squeeze as much money as possible from D&D and force it to a new medium if necessary to reach that goal.
Company wants to make money? Egads, get out my smelling salts. (Do you think shareholders pay the salaries of WotC and print books because they're big gamers?)

Company wants to make money? Egads, get out my smelling salts. (Do you think shareholders pay the salaries of WotC and print books because they're big gamers?)
Can they make money while still operating with something resembling good faith regarding their fan base? Because at this point a lot of fans just assume they are being duplicitous along the lines you indicate. Will that be good for long term business?

Cruentus

Adventurer
Can they make money while still operating with something resembling good faith regarding their fan base? Because at this point a lot of fans just assume they are being duplicitous along the lines you indicate. Will that be good for long term business?
Not as a publicly traded company with shareholders…it’s all about the money. You can’t ever leave money on the table, it’s against the rules.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
They can make enough to sustain their business and grow incrementally while keeping faith with their fans, yes. They cannot, however, satisfy the shareholder's desire for infinite growth and infinite profits while keeping faith with their fans. Whatever makes them the most money is what they'll sell. Fans clambered for Spelljammer...so they slapped together a bunch of art, half-heartedly wrote a few pages of text, and divided that nothing burger into three tiny hardcovers in a overpriced slipcase...and fans still ate it up. They're about to do it again with Planescape...where the adventure is a reformat of Planescape: Torment, the video game from the late 90s.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads