• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro CEO optimistic about AI in D&D and MTG’s future

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Keep making as much noise about that fact as possible. It’s important we make sure AI becomes as toxic to corporate ears as we managed to make NFTs, and stays that way.
Good luck with that. They see noise as temporary, they can make alot of return for shareholders with this new avenue. All other efficiencies have already been made. That's also why companies keep pursuing blockchain and crypto stuff as well because there is nothing else left in this blood from stone era of capitalism. The Enshittification continues apace.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
On the plus side, maybe AI can make good indices for the D&D books and spot the easily broken MtG combos the internet finds immediately but the design team (apparently) overlooks.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
IOW, since the 5.1 SRD is already CC, who cares if 2024 gets a new SRD?
I do, I see it as a sign of being committed to an open SRD, or not…

Besides, there should be a lot of changes, spells, monsters, etc. Add weapon masteries, heck, add more subclasses, A5 has a better SRD…

Unless the changes are added, 3pp cannot really use them

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Put 5.5 in the CC, day 1.
Even better, release the 5.5 SRD alongside an OGL 1.0b, which is just like the OGL 1.0a except it includes the word "irrevocable" and is released into the public domain the same way that Paizo did for the ORC license.

But I honestly don't see the current leadership at WotC as ever deciding to show that much goodwill to the gaming community.

Hussar

Legend
I do, I see it as a sign of being committed to an open SRD, or not…

Besides, there should be a lot of changes, spells, monsters, etc. Add weapon masteries, heck, add more subclasses, A5 has a better SRD…

Unless the changes are added, 3pp cannot really use them
Since mechanics can't be copywritten, and things like Monsters aren't really an issue, again, I have to wonder, who cares? Weapon Masteries? Ok, sure. Since you can always simply reference them anyway, I'm really rather struggling to see why this is a big issue. Given the level of backwards compatibility they are insisting on, it shouldn't make a difference.

mamba

Legend
Since mechanics can't be copywritten, and things like Monsters aren't really an issue
first of all, the ‘mechanics cannot be copywritten’ line is very blurry. Can you copy the 5 chromatic dragons over because they are just mechanics? That is far from clear…

Same for the XP progression and a ton of other things

Second, if you want to publish an adventure and include the stat blocks for convenience, you already run into the same problem, how much of them is mechanics and how much is IP / design. Hasbro could make your life hard if they wanted to if there were no open SRD you can point to.

Finally, as I said, I view this as WotC either being committed to an open SRD or WotC having caved to pressure once and actually still wanting to phase it out, this time quietly

They just had a poll, asking us how we feel about WotC. I have them at trending negative, if they want to reverse that, a proper 2024 SRD is a requirement

Remove ads