• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro CEO optimistic about AI in D&D and MTG’s future

Jasus this is disheartening. I've been trying very hard to just push past the online catastrophizing that gets amplified by outrage driven algorithms, but this is naked greed presented without shame or obfuscation in the slightest. My overall negative outlook on the effect of AI generated materials, be they written, visual, video, ect comes mostly from a professional space as an educator, but yeah, it is a civilization endangering level crisis.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Is that an actual quote?

I know I've gone into this before, on this site, but the Companion cards were the literal breaking point for me, as I know, in the darkest most spiteful corner of my soul, that Maro 100% knew what he was doing when he allowed those to go to print.

Quite literally breaking the game, and the event horizon for me.

Ah yes.

Ikoria - April 17, 2020

Whats the lead time on a set?

BfZ - September 26, 2015

Yeah, I'd say this is roughly lining up. You heard it from the horses mouth, he ruined Magic.
Yeah, I mean any Magic players who have been paying attention already put it together, but it’s pretty crazy to see him just come right out and say it. And now he’s looking to do the same to D&D. Let’s hope that survey they just put out gets through to someone with enough power to pump the breaks on this train.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I will say when I ask AI to give me some ideas about an RPG concept, it's definitely helpful as a starting point for me to jump off from.

For example, I recently gave one of them the description of a deity and a PC and asked for a ritual that might be appropriate for that PC and deity. It gave some interesting answers. I then had it drill down on some of those answers, and it produced an interesting details for different aspects of the ritual.

I didn't use it in full, but I did then start editing that, asking for some variations on ideas, edited some more, and eventually had a very nice detailed description of a ritual.

That was a handy RPG tool that I didn't have before.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I will say when I ask AI to give me some ideas about an RPG concept, it's definitely helpful as a starting point for me to jump off from.

For example, I recently gave one of them the description of a deity and a PC and asked for a ritual that might be appropriate for that PC and deity. It gave some interesting answers. I then had it drill down on some of those answers, and it produced an interesting details for different aspects of the ritual.

I didn't use it in full, but I did then start editing that, asking for some variations on ideas, edited some more, and eventually had a very nice detailed description of a ritual.

That was a handy RPG tool that I didn't have before.
It's a great tool for RPGs. I've used it for ideas for games as well, like rumours and such, and it's fun using art generators to realise the look of your characters, or the monsters they're fighting.

Scribe

Legend
Yeah, I mean any Magic players who have been paying attention already put it together, but it’s pretty crazy to see him just come right out and say it. And now he’s looking to do the same to D&D. Let’s hope that survey they just put out gets through to someone with enough power to pump the breaks on this train.

Yeah I feel we broke it down a year (maybe 2 or 3 at this point, PSA its already been 2.5 months of 2024...:sick:) or so ago. It is weird to have him just piece it all together for us.

Hey, he cashed out on that and rode the covid bubble to the top. Grats.

Pedantic

Legend
To be fair, given the state of the hobby can you imagine them doing something that no one would find controversial?
That's overstating things significantly. How about a web series of updated classic monsters? Or a series of design diaries reworking favorites from the MM as alternative takes? Or a free set of VTT-appropriate tokens of "iconic" class artwork from across the ages for use on different platforms, maybe with a fun set of retrospective character sheets, updating Mialee to 5e, or presenting an NPC version of Emerikol the Chaotic.

The number of fan-pleasing, non-controversial, celebratory things they could do for the anniversary is massive, without even getting into all the big ticket items that are making people itchy, like putting earlier SRDs into the CC.

It wouldn't be hard to simply keep your executive class to saying how exciting is to work on such a storied game, and how this is a great chance to celebrate the legacy and what wonderful new content is coming with the new 2024 corebooks. This is just unforced error.

Remove ads