• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hasbro Double Downgraded by Bank of America.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Which is also actually rare, isn’t it? And it’s wonderful to work with for jewelry, isn’t it?

Diamonds are probably a better analogy.

You should probably look up the history of De Beers and the most successful advertising campaign in history.

(Fun fact- in the forty years of the concentrated advertising from 1939 on, which consisted of the slogan "A Diamond is Forever," seeding European royalty and Hollywood stars with diamonds, using social pressure to close down the secondary market, and promoting the idea of "diamond engagement rings" ... which weren't a thing before that ... De Beers basically created the modern diamond market and moved it from the "millions" to the "billions" of dollars in a few decades.)

Scribe

Legend
You should probably look up the history of De Beers and the most successful advertising campaign in history.

(Fun fact- in the forty years of the concentrated advertising from 1939 on, which consisted of the slogan "A Diamond is Forever," seeding European royalty and Hollywood stars with diamonds, using social pressure to close down the secondary market, and promoting the idea of "diamond engagement rings" ... which weren't a thing before that ... De Beers basically created the modern diamond market and moved it from the "millions" to the "billions" of dollars in a few decades.)

And considering we can now manufacture Diamonds...

darjr

I crit!

I should but it was why I mentioned diamonds being a better analog to magic cards.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten

You've been talking to Dogbert again, haven't you Snarf?

4f3f704ed5d34a0ff01ca55a80f044fded3a5fbf.jpeg

Zardnaar

Legend
Difference is a few on YouTube were mentioning it but now it's become a thing as revenue is down as well.

The cards are also reliant on the secondary market. Retailers have been stuck with product they can't sell. The product is worth less on secondary market than wholesale price.
Yeah, diamonds aren't scarce. The DeBeers have a literal mountain of it they're sitting on. It's artificial scarcity and a super-successful ad campaign that has convinced the public otherwise.

That's right: The DeBeers folks have influenced how Minecraft plays.

I think Sapphires are rarer (emeralds?). Prettier stone as well.

darjr

I crit!
Huh? It’s not really a useful test I guess. The equipment costs too much.

Hold the diamond under a UV screener to look for fluorescence. If your jeweler has a UV tester, ask them to place the diamond under the UV light to show you the results. A mined diamond shows up blue under the UV light while a lab-grown diamond looks red.[7]
  • Don't be surprised if a jeweler doesn't have a UV screener available. Many of these high-quality screeners cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Remove ads