• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro selling D&D IP?

This is likely based on a clickbait video that has no basis in fact and no evidence as @UngainlyTitan said. It's just a recycled rumor. Is it theoretically possible? Sure! Is there any evidence? None.

As far as Larian and Tencent, Larian is [EDIT] publicly traded and Tencent is a minority shareholder that holds around 30% of the stock. Tencent is an investor that owns about 30% of the company. The founder of Larian, Swen Vincke, is still the majority owner. Once again, the article makes it sound like Tencent funded BG3, it did not.

According to the articles its based on a Tencent insider, not a Western youtube video.

Retreater

Legend
They have a source listed in the article but it’s a Chinese site and I doubt anyone here has any idea how credible that site is.

Is it possible that some Chinese news site watched Steven Glicker's Youtube video that has 31k views and either misunderstood it or just decided to lie and write an article stating negoitations were happening? Sure, though I think it's just as likely, if not more likely they have never seen the video and this has nothing to do with him.

I swear some of you all let Steven Glicker live rent free in your heads since he can be critical of Wizards of the Coast (a company that very much deserves to have a critical eye taken to them).
My wife and I created a Roll for Combat drinking game. It's ... potentially dangerous.

Oofta

Legend
According to the articles its based on a Tencent insider, not a Western youtube video.

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago on this. The article is sounds like a rewrite of that Roll for Combat stream with the addition of an anonymous insider to make it sound more official. The RfC stream was based on pure conjecture.

Whether this is something other than an unfounded rumor is impossible to determine at this point. But the rumor seems to have started with someone just blowing smoke.

Remove ads