have a concept need build help please

suppoko

First Post
this campaign is more story driven than encounter driven, my concept is starting up a gladiatorial arena that not only pits people vs. people but also people vs. exotic creatures. which is where my build help is needed, I want my char to go around the game world capturing these creatures for the arena. The net is essentially useless in its RAW form without DM assistance isn't viable like I was hoping. I am looking to be able to trap them and capture relatively unharmed.

The secondary part of the game is that the group characters get together for "large issues against the BBeG" and we then go our own ways and have our own story until the next BBeG. so I would also need to be effective in combat at least a little bit.

the books allowed would be all standard wizards offerings and startinig at 3rd level no race/class/alignment restrictions.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

CydKnight

Explorer
How about take them to zero HP and leaving them unconscious? They can then be transported and secured or secured then transported. Once secure, you can always heal them, or just wait until they are called to the arena.

WarpedAcorn

First Post
How about take them to zero HP and leaving them unconscious? They can then be transported and secured or secured then transported. Once secure, you can always heal them, or just wait until they are called to the arena.

That's what I was going to say. The PHB specifically says that you can chose whether the final MELEE hit outright kills the enemy or puts it unconscious.

You would then have to commission some sort of Creature Wagon to transport the beast back to a proper holding pen. You'll likely not only need Wagons and Horses, but Henchmen as well as feed for the beast. I can see the whole process being fairly complicated and depending on the type of campaign you like the play, you can spend time brokering deals, handling employees, and negotiating with local laws in addition to flat out monster hunting...or maybe the business is run by an NPC (your boss) and you are the Henchmen that hunt the rare monsters.

suppoko

First Post
That's what I was going to say. The PHB specifically says that you can chose whether the final MELEE hit outright kills the enemy or puts it unconscious.

You would then have to commission some sort of Creature Wagon to transport the beast back to a proper holding pen. You'll likely not only need Wagons and Horses, but Henchmen as well as feed for the beast. I can see the whole process being fairly complicated and depending on the type of campaign you like the play, you can spend time brokering deals, handling employees, and negotiating with local laws in addition to flat out monster hunting...or maybe the business is run by an NPC (your boss) and you are the Henchmen that hunt the rare monsters.

well the campaign is run mostly solo until the group is needed so the logistics of transport and all that is easily dealt with. I was looking for an alternative than beating on things like a sleep dart or something. I was looking for a more story flavored way like traps and nets and stuff since I will have a bunch of time to do what I choose.

CydKnight

Explorer
well the campaign is run mostly solo until the group is needed so the logistics of transport and all that is easily dealt with. I was looking for an alternative than beating on things like a sleep dart or something. I was looking for a more story flavored way like traps and nets and stuff since I will have a bunch of time to do what I choose.
If this is what you are thinking, it would have to be dealt with on an individual creature basis. Your character would have to spend time learning about each monster it hunts to determine what is the best way to incapacitate one without beating on it. A ranger familiar with the terrain you are hunting, if not the creature type, would certainly be helpful even if it ends up being someone for hire.

Certain traps may work for some creatures while not for others. Depending on how "exotic" the creature and the type of terrain, you will likely have to design a unique trap for each one. Sleep may work on some but maybe not others. Creatures have different immunities and things like darts can miss. Size of creature will also be a factor in the design of your trap of method of incapacitation.

So I don't see any one solution here to your dilemma without more information.

mellored

Legend
I don't think there's a sleep dart, but there is a sleep spell.

But nature cleric can let you charm an animal, along with other spells.

Remove ads