• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you been published in Dragon?

lin_fusan

First Post
Dragon #323: The Spirit Speaker
Dragon #339: Dead Factions
and
Dungeon #105: The Stink

I really wish I kept up with that writing (I was doing other kinds of writing at the time). I could have been a Shemeska. :.-( I keep meaning to send a pitch or two down WotC's way.

I had a small string of articles published:

"Fractious Factions" in Dragon #287

"Open Skies: The Silver Strike Guild" in Dragon #307

"Dweomered Dragon Scales" in Dragon #308

"Searing Flames: The Ecology of the Salamander" in Dragon #314

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I only made the forum page in Dragon. (I wrote a somewhat notorious analysis of just how badly the 3.0 ranger sucked. I was told at GenCon by one of the 3.0 designers that my breakdown spurred development of the 3.5 ranger.)

I had a proposal accepted for the use of PDAs in D&D, and submitted a detailed outline, but never heard back. Like, literally no response to a few emails.

Shemeska

Adventurer
I had a proposal accepted for the use of PDAs in D&D, and submitted a detailed outline, but never heard back. Like, literally no response to a few emails.

I had something similar, in that I'd originally pitched something when Sernett was Editor in Chief, and then never heard back about the more detailed outline. As it turns out the material simply got lost between when he was there and wanted to see more and when Mona took over after he left. Quite possibly something similar happened to you?

I don't think they give any rejection responses to queries now though in general for the e-zines, just the assumption that if they don't ask for anything after like two months it's assumed to have failed to pass muster.

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Yeah, I wrote a bit for 3E, but the only article to make it was a generic article (relevant to all additions) about making character backgrounds important to roleplaying. It was for players. I think it was in Dragon #323 (White cover with red dragon tearing through). Unfortunately the original article was over 3,000 words, but b/c they had their specific 'titles and slots' it had to fit into their 300 word segment. It was highly bastardised and to me didn't end up making a lot of sense, but at least it got in :)

I had 2 other articles accepted: 1 on barbarian totems and another on monk fighting styles for 3e, but they never saw print as the game changed (and so did the mags). So these never saw the light of day unfortunately. :(

With a new edition I was keen to write again, but found 4e hard to write for, given the siloing of powers etc. (I like the game, I just found it hard to write for initially - I mean to do a class took a LOT of work and balancing. I would be more confortable with it now, but not sure what the game needs. Already seems to be a LOT of choice for 1 option at each level).

I am keen to write something for Savage Worlds though...but that is for another thread ;)

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I had a letter published in Dungeon, somewhere between issues 36 and 50, I believe. It was a period when the editors were fairly begging for feedback. :)

I think I had a letter published in Dragon, circa 1984. For me, back then, writing a letter was typewriter practice, and I had to mail it. I know I wrote one, and I'm pretty sure I sent it, but I don't have the slightest clue what it was about, or whether it actually made it in the magazine at the time. (I was into writing letters to the editor of three relatively local newspapers at the time, and some of those were published. It's all a haze, and I'm semi-afraid to see what I had to say. :eek:)

Richards

Legend
I had a grand total of 51 articles published in Dragon over the years, the earliest being in issue #198 ("The False Undead") and the latest ("The Ecology of the Tarrasque," co-authored by Ed Greenwood) in the very last print issue of the magazine.

I had a blast being a freelance author, and I have to admit I really miss those days.

Johnathan

edbonny

Explorer
Had over a dozen published starting in 213 with the Demiplane of Shadow, a handful of Player's Options articles for the various campaign settings, a couple of Planescape articles (Lords of Chaos, Pox on the Planes), a few I can't remember and the last being a collaborative effort updating the Forgotten Realms Hordelands for 3.5e (right before the release of the Spellplague).

Remove ads