• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you bought a third-party product in the last year?

Have you bought a third-party product in the last year?

• Yes

Votes: 73 67.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 33.0%

ggeilman

First Post
Yeah and going about broke, too! Rappan Athuk Kickstarter, The Slumbering Tsar Series, Razor Coast Kickstarter and a few other odds and ends. The only thing I buy from Paizo is rulebooks.

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Nope. The first party are WotC, the people who make the game. The second party in this instance is me - the person who buys the game. A third party, then, is anyone else.

Ah I see that, I've always gone with console (video)game industry terminology, in that 2nd party products are licensed works(games) from another 1st party developer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_developer

I think that's a little niche of terminology that doesn't get used much outside it's realm.

Shades of Green

First Post
I wrote a third-party product in 2011. It is called Outer Veil and is a brand-new third-party setting for Mongoose Traveller published by Spica Publishing.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Once I have the core game, I pretty much stick to third party publications, no matter what the edition.

I have played three 4E campaigns since its release: two set in Monte Cook's Ptolus (converting as I went) and now Zeitgeist.

I find WotC adventures to be very middle-of-the-road and uninspiring.

I wrote a third-party product in 2011. It is called Outer Veil and is a brand-new third-party setting for Mongoose Traveller published by Spica Publishing.

I bought that! (though I am not sure it was last year)

I've bought several third-party offerings for a variety of games. Mongoose Traveller, Runequest (neither Mongoose or TDM), Heroquest 2, D&D 4e. I imagine minis shouldn't be included, but if they are then most of the games I own could use minis I bought last year.

Cephor

Villager
I've got a quite a few 3rd party products, many of which were written by the same authors that Paizo would utilize for their official books. There's a lot of solid stuff out there where people have gone to the trouble of doing all the math for those corner case options the 1st party devs haven't got around to yet or won't get to. There's even some OE/Labyrinth Lord stuff that I've got sitting in my wishlists, so it's not just new systems.

Last edited:

Psyga315

Explorer
Eeeeeeeeyah, no I haven't... So far they're all first-party games I've purchased, and I have yet to encounter a third-party product.

Arkhandus

First Post
I bought Psionics Expanded by Dreamscarred Press late last month, but that's probably the only 3rd-party product I've bought in the past year. I bought several in 2010, 2011, and early 2012 though. Then again, I hardly buy any 1st-party products either these days. And I hate buying PDFs, I prefer hardcover/softcover books, so I only buy PDFs when there's no print version available (or just not in my area at the time). Doesn't help that there are ever fewer and fewer FLGSes around each year and that I now have nowhere to go to find groups or play RPGs less than 1-1/2 or 2 hours away.

I hate you, Amazon.com. Sooooooo much.

Remove ads