• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Have you played 5E yet?

(Not the playtest)

Wolfskin

Explorer
Ran parts 1 and 2 of the Starter Set on a local con. Planning to start it again from scratch with another group in a biweekly table, and this time hopefully see it to its end.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yes, started with the playtest in the beginning and have been DMing from there.

Pulled out my old Greyhawk stuff, finding it fits very well with the system (for 4e I ran an Ebberron campaign and that seemed to fit well for 4e).

Interestingly, the mage died in the second session (months ago) and there has not been a mage in the group (of 5) until this Friday when a new player joined. The dynamic of the group did change, but not as much as I expected.

So far, everyone seems happy with their characters . It's been nice because the older players (both in age and time playing) had started grumbling about 4e, but the younger players have been perfectly fine with 5e (one actually told me he was surprised, he had not expected to like it as he was solidly in the 4e camp).

Last edited:

I haven't played it at all yet. I signed up for the playtest, but we kept playing our regular 3.5E campaign while that was going on and I don't have time to run or play in 2 games.

I've bought the Starter Set, but am on a baby break at the moment, so I'm not playing or running anything currently.

While I've been on my break my group has been playing in a 3.5E RttToEE campaign run by another one of my players. He is keen to keep running that when I return, and I'm more than happy to come back into the group as a player for a while.

We'll definitely give 5E a go at some stage as both myself and the guy running the RttToEE campaign have bought the Starter Set and are buying all 3 core rulebooks. However, I don't know when our first 5E game will actually be.

Jake Johnson

First Post
I voted yes, even though our first session with the Starter Set isn't until Friday night. We have a full table, and everyone is really excited. The plan is for this to be a weekly group. Most of us haven't played for years, but are excited for 5E.

Ningauble

First Post
Yep. I'm playing the Starter Set with my 9 year old son. I think it is a great edition for new players. We just finished the Redbrands Hideout and reached 3rd level. He plays a Wizard and a Rogue, I'm DMing and running the Cleric and Fighter. I really like the speed of combat. I will hopefully convert my regular group of grown up players at some point, but I promised to finish our Pathfinder campaign first. Can't wait for the PH and Tyranny of Dragons!

Kaffis

First Post
When the 3 core books are out????

Will probably play it with just two, but still.
This is about where I'm at.

We're playing an intentionally short campaign using a mix of final playtest character creation with basic rules.

But we're anticipating converting our 4th edition campaign over once we have the PHB and MM. We *probably* don't need the DMG before we can start.

halberd10

First Post
I ran the first part of the starter set adventure for 4 players. 3 were complete tabletop newbies, and everyone had a blast. I am really impressed with how fast and easy it is to run, and it seemed like the players had no trouble picking up the rules as we went along. I also ran it completely theater of the mind. I started dming with 4th, so TotM is kinda new to me, but I am really enjoying how it seems to encourage creativity by the players. I don't think there was a single fight that they didn't try some crazy plan instead of just lining up and fighting until one side was dead. Now, that may be due to the players themselves, but I think not having the map and minis makes you think about the combat in a different way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads