• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Head Start thoughts

Dargrimm

First Post
Has anyone played any of the head starts?

Perhaps it is because it is just a pre-release, but the game's graphics are poor and the performance is abysmal. Pillars of Eternity has much better graphics and it performs beautifully on my mid 2011 iMac.

The game is close to unplayable even with all the settings set to low.

Another thing that drives me nuts is that you can't move the camera with the arrow keys. Your character is on the centre of the screen constantly, but the are times when the camera doesn't move with your character and you can't see where you're going.

So far this game is a huuuuuge disappointment. I regret preordering it and wasting my money.

I requested a refund and I'm waiting for their answer.

Last edited:

Dargrimm

First Post
Please stop spamming the forums with your personal grievances against this game. Thank you.

Spamming? I just wrote a post with my opinion about the game.
If you don't agree with me that's perfectly OK but the one who's spamming with worthless comments is you.

It would be better if you could counter my opinions about the game telling us why do you think the game is awesome and the best thing to happen to D&D since the invention of rolling dice. Thank you.

Last edited:

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Has anyone played any of the head starts?

Perhaps it is because it is just a pre-release, but the game's graphics are poor and the performance is abysmal. Pillars of Eternity has much better graphics and it performs beautifully on my mid 2011 iMac.

The game is close to unplayable even with all the settings set to low.

Another thing that drives me nuts is that you can't move the camera with the arrow keys. Your character is on the centre of the screen constantly, but the are times when the camera doesn't move with your character and you can't see where you're going.

So far this game is a huuuuuge disappointment. I regret preordering it and wasting my money.

I requested a refund and I'm waiting for their answer.

My computer is about 5 years old and I haven't seen any issues with graphics. I play with about everything maxed out. Granted it was built as a gaming computer so it's not just a regular off the shelf PC.

The camera works fine for me. You use WASD to scroll it around and if you want to lock onto a character you simply double click their icon. I don't know why you want to use the arrow keys. Perhaps if someone used their mouse left handed, but since 99% of games are built around WASD these days I can't blame them for sticking with the norm.

Dargrimm

First Post
OK, didn't know about the WASD. Thank you for pointing it out. I always go for the arrow keys instinctively (I'm left-handed but use the mouse with my right hand).

The graphics are always a subjective matter but I found them lacking for a 2015 game. Pillars of Eternity is a better looking game in my opinion.

But the subpar performance and the drop in frame rate was a big issue. Yes, this is a beta and my computer is an old one (2011) so that is going to hurt but anyway even with all in low settings it wasn't smooth at all.

But my biggest issue with the game is the misleading advertising. Advertise it as a game based on the Forgotten Realms and forget about the ruleset and I'd have no complaints, but advertise it as a D&D game and things change because no matter how you look at it, it is not a D&D game. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who has issues with that, just take a look at other forums.

Anyway this is just my opinion and many people will think I'm wrong (which is perfectly right of course).

Remove ads