• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Healing belt from MIC

cheshire_grin

First Post
Vahktang said:
Yes, in that case, I would be misusing Quod Erat Demonstandum.
(thank you for citing, btw)

But since I was using it as Quite Easily Done, I was using it correctly.

That's what's one of the fun things of the english language, it changes.
QED isn't English.

It's Latin, which, being a dead language, doesn't change.

Jhaelen

First Post
cheshire_grin said:
It's Latin, which, being a dead language, doesn't change.
Except it's still used in science or by the Catholic church and thus is still being modified and expanded all the time.

Thurbane

First Post
MTglendive-trainwreck11aug1908r.jpg

...another classic thread derailment brought to you by the Grammar Police™ :confused:

Vahktang

First Post
...another classic thread derailment brought to you by the Grammar Police™
Great picture.
Side tracked maybe, not derailed.
QED isn't English.
Quite Easily Done is english.
The other one is latin.
And I asked about a dozen people and nobody besides us has heard of either one of them.
Which brings us to

Denotation vs connotation.

Denotation is what is in the dictionary, the precise definition.
Connotation is what everyone believes the definition to be.

I had a customer recently say that 'apology' means that 'I'm sorry and it will never happen again'.
The 'never happen again' was part of the connotation, but not the denotation.
(And nothing I could say or give examples of would disuade her that her's was not the denotation. I even asked her if Oxford's or Webster's definition would disuade her from her definition [you know, people that have been in the dictionary business for more than a century] and she said 'no, I know the definition and that's it.')

Next time, general usage, which is how things are defined in english.

Now, back to the thread:

Hypersmurf said:
So you feel that 'allow' is granting permission to channel energy, rather than granting the ability to channel energy?
/cut/
-Hyp.
No.
(Excellent examples, though.)
I feel that the linking word _and_ gets the action of channelling positive energy, that non clerics (and experienced paladins) cannot do, and healing together, with the aid of the belt.
Also, in that it makes the item's cost more understandable and balanced in play.
As is, it negates the use of potions of curing.
Effectively, it replaces 1100 gp of cure potions, that are one use only, and allows you to do it every, single day.
Every single character would get one of these, probably before they get their weapon from Masterwork to +1.
Do you think that is the intention of the item?
Or could it be to use a resource that is already there and not to it's full potential?

Doug McCrae said:
Don't forget paladins, rangers and anyone with the Use Magic Device skill. And monks can self-heal. And arcane casters can heal warforged. Or anyone if they take the arcane disciple feat with the healing domain.

Yeah, so healing is for everyone except fighters and barbarians.
Paladin healing can affect undead so it's channeling positive energy.
Paladin and ranger spell use is divine spells.
Use magic Device can be emulate a class feature, as they use 'channel positive energy' in the example.
Monks ability cannot affect undead. Doesn't mention in the description (unlike paladin ability) and the special effect is understanding of their own body.
Not familiar with warforged or the arcane disciple feat so will go look it up and come back.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Vahktang said:
I feel that the linking word _and_ gets the action of channelling positive energy, that non clerics (and experienced paladins) cannot do, and healing together, with the aid of the belt.

What does the belt allow you to do? It allows you to channel positive energy and heal with a touch.

Can a fighter channel positive energy? Can a fighter with the belt that allows him to channel positive energy channel positive energy?

-Hyp.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
IMNSHO, making it practical for a party to not have a Cleric is a Good Thing.

Wands such that the party can heal up between battles is a good start. But this belt fills an important gap.

One might own a Potion of Cure Serious for a dire emergency, but you must be very very wealthy to actually use such a thing often. In general, effects equivalent to 3rd level or higher spells are usually punitively expensive in Core.

Vahktang

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
What does the belt allow you to do? It allows you to channel positive energy and heal with a touch.

Can a fighter channel positive energy? Can a fighter with the belt that allows him to channel positive energy channel positive energy?

-Hyp.
I gues it depends on how you define the word 'and' in the description.
While taking into account balance of play, the traditions of D & D, and intent of the creator of the listing.
By your intepretation a vampire or wight, pretty much made up of negative energy, can channel postive energy and heal people while using the belt.
Does that sound like it sould be doable?

Also, it pretty much negates the market for cure potions.
Does that sound like the intention?

And, if it is only useable by good clerics (and experienced paladins) does the cost make sense?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Vahktang said:
By your intepretation a vampire or wight, pretty much made up of negative energy, can channel postive energy and heal people while using the belt.
Does that sound like it sould be doable?

A vampire with cleric - or even bard - levels can cast Cure Light Wounds: "When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel positive energy that cures 1d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +5)." This has no adverse effect on the vampire (assuming he doesn't cast it on himself), so we can see that there's no problem with a vampire channeling positive energy... assuming he has something that allows him to do it.

Also, it pretty much negates the market for cure potions.

How so? For the price of a single potion of Cure Moderate Wounds (2d8+3), you can buy six potions of Cure Light Wounds (6d8+6)... yet before MIC, people still had potions of CMW. For the price of fifteen potions of Cure Light Wounds (15d8+15), you can buy a wand of Cure Light Wounds (50d8+50)... yet before MIC, people still had potions of CLW.

And, if it is only useable by good clerics (and experienced paladins) does the cost make sense?

You're suggesting a Turn attempt is required. But you can channel positive energy by casting Cure Minor Wounds. If initial channeling of positive energy is required, couldn't a druid or cleric activate the belt this way? Couldn't a ranger or bard activate is with Cure Light Wounds?

Or... would you suggest that casting Cure Light Wounds requires expenditure of a Turn attempt, since it involves channeling positive energy?

-Hyp.

seans23

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
IMNSHO, making it practical for a party to not have a Cleric is a Good Thing.

When you say IMNSHO do you mean "I might need some human organs"? Because that's how I use that acronym. ;)

Also, QED means "Quick! Everybody Dance!" AFAIK (all funny arguments involve kidding)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads