• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Healing problems? Need Help

burntgerbil

Explorer
I believe I remember reading that the encounter does not end until any characters are either A) Conscious or B) Dead. Your party cannot take a short rest (leaving the encounter) while someone is unconscious. I can't remember where I read it. The DC 10 or 15 skill check then becomes the necessity to end the encounter if no other healing is available.

Kordeth

First Post
I believe I remember reading that the encounter does not end until any characters are either A) Conscious or B) Dead. Your party cannot take a short rest (leaving the encounter) while someone is unconscious. I can't remember where I read it. The DC 10 or 15 skill check then becomes the necessity to end the encounter if no other healing is available.

DMG p. 41:

"Typically, encounters are separated by a short rest and some amount of travel time, even if it’s as little as crossing the room to open the next door. An encounter ends when the monsters are dead or have fled and the characters take a short rest to regain hit points and encounter powers. The next encounter begins when the characters engage new opponents."

As long as the monsters are dead and/or gone, the encounter is over. There's no rule that everyone in the party has to be conscious.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
My read of the rules was always that people just miraculously live if the encounter ends while they're still hanging around Death's Door. The monsters go away, a short rest can occur, the fallen are un-fallen'd through a Take 20 or such of a Heal skill, etc.

Hit points are, relatively, an encounter-based resource. Healing surges are a daily resource. If you're out of hit-points at the end of the encounter, but have surges, you can get most/all your hit points back, regardless of if you were dying or not when the encounter ended.

--fje

Chen_93

First Post
My read of the rules was always that people just miraculously live if the encounter ends while they're still hanging around Death's Door. The monsters go away, a short rest can occur, the fallen are un-fallen'd through a Take 20 or such of a Heal skill, etc.

Well I think they removed take 20 from the rules. But you can certainly take 10 once all the monsters are dead/gone which SHOULD allow you to get your buddy up. Anyone trained at healing without a wis penalty automatically succeeds at this point. Once you hit level 10 (and again no wis penalty) anyone succeeds at this regardless of training.

The_Spider

First Post
I find it a bit silly that as a standard action someone applying first aid to a dying individual can have them up and engaging in combat in 6 seconds.

Is there a way to move this thread to house rules forum?

the_redbeard

Explorer
I find it a bit silly that as a standard action someone applying first aid to a dying individual can have them up and engaging in combat in 6 seconds.

Is there a way to move this thread to house rules forum?

Hit points aren't just physical damage. It is also will to fight, etc.

A healing surge can be given from just a pep talk. On rpg.net, they call the warlord, "Mr shouty man".

Danceofmasks

First Post
Yup, yup .. a totally martial ability that will get an unconscious PC up and fighting 25 feet away.
Get up, get up .. you don't even have to hear me to be inspired, 'cos it even works if you're deaf!

Mengu

First Post
I think I understand why the DC is lower for Use Second Wind, than it is for Stabilize the Dying. Someone who still had use of his Second Wind, just had the breath knocked out of them and fell. Just slapping them around a couple times to get the blood flowing, or maybe splashing some water on their face may bring them right back to consciousness, and they can shake it off to get up and fight.

If you're using the heal skill on someone who has already used their second wind, they probably fell to a more serious injury, and as such, it's a bit more difficult to stabilize them.

As for all this happening in 6 seconds, I don't like it either, so I try to imagine a round as an abstract slice of camera time instead of going with the 6 second RAW.

HazardCatcher

First Post

Hit points are, relatively, an encounter-based resource. Healing surges are a daily resource. If you're out of hit-points at the end of the encounter, but have surges, you can get most/all your hit points back, regardless of if you were dying or not when the encounter ended.

--fje

This certainly makes things simpler but the problem with this is it negates the need for the Heal skill in this instance. It also reduces the danger of falling unconsious and the importance of keeping someone with the Heal skill up and running until the end of the encounter, maybe even the last one standing.

If you are out of healing surges can someone stabilize you on the DC 15 check? How would you regain hitpoints? Would you stay unconsious but not dying until you took an extended rest?

Remove ads