• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Healing question, Torn Asunder

brun

First Post
I posted this in the rules forum, but got no reply. So I figured I might try my luck in general and see what comes up...

I'm trying to figure how the healing of a critical effect works. Maybe my mind is just too fuzzy tonight, but i'm having a few problems.

On page 4 it says
All debilitating effects last until the victim has received healing applied directly to the specific wound or healing equal to the hit points lost in the attack that caused the critical effect.

That is a bit confusing, but I can figure that out. You can heal the effect, or "generally" heal the target, and if by chance you happen to heal for an amount equal or greater than the damage in the attack that caused the wound, the effect is healed too, as a bonus. I am right?

Than, we go to page 34, in the example of short-term healing on Thunderstorm, the dwarf barbarian. We see a disparancy between the table (2-3) and the values used in the example for a healing factor of 2. The table tells us the DC is 25, but they use 20 in the example.

Further down in the example, we have:
A successfulcheck results in the restoration of 1d6hp + Thunderhead's Constitution modifier but in order to directly apply that amount to the broken leg, the intent must be made prior to making the Heal check. If the number of hit points gained back from the Heal check equals or exceeds the number that was inflicted from the critical hit, the wound has been properly dressed and will heal in one-third the time normally required.

Now, why wouldn't everyone always apply the healing directly and specifically to the wound? Is it because in such cases,the character do not regain the HP, the healing only affecting the critical effect? I think not. The above quote is consistent with the first one in regard to Healing applied directly to the specific wound , but not with the interpretation I had of the second part, Healing equal to the HP lost in the attack that caused the critical effect. Or maybe if I treat specifically the wound, the healing time will be considered as Aided and if I "generally" heal a target and achieve a result equal to the critical hit damage, I get the Aided healing time as a bonus. In any cases, the critical effects now seem to last for a minimum of 2 weeks (shown in table 2-6), and not until healed under the conditions of the first quote.

There is also a problem with the Aided healing time in table 2-6, as one-third of 3 weeks is not 2 weeks. That goes for all the table, but is easily remedied.

Now on page 36, under Treating Specific Wounds, there is
Any attempt to treat a specific wound must be made independently from any other Heak checks (first aid, short-term care, or long-term care.)

Further down, there is a table with varying modifiers, notably the Broken Bone (such as Thuderhead's), and accompanying DC Modifier. It also tells you that if successful, all later Heal checks will benefit from a +4 competence bonus until the character is restored to full health. So, as these modifiers haven't been included in Thunderhead's example, and such an attempt can only be made once, that this is an optional check, and that if successful, you gain a bonus. Am I right? And if so, as the check is independent from all other Heal checks , What is the base DC? We are only given modifiers.

So, sorry it's been so long, but I'm quite lost. I would be glad for any kind of help or insight.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
brun said:
On page 4 it says

Page four of what book?

Now, why wouldn't everyone always apply the healing directly and specifically to the wound?

Um, maybe because the character has more than one such wound, and a given healing attempt can only be applied to one of them directly?

Ghostwind

First Post
Let's see if I can clarify things a bit for you...

All debilitating effects last until the victim has received healing applied directly to the specific wound or healing equal to the hit points lost in the attack that caused the critical effect.

The effects of any critical wound that a character receives remain until the specific critical wound is healed or magical healing restores the amount of hit points lost in the critical wounding. For most campaigns magical healing will successfully handle the loss in sustained hit points. But with critical wounds, the game effect penalties remain until the wound is specifically treated.

Then, we go to page 34, in the example of short-term healing on Thunderstorm, the dwarf barbarian. We see a disparancy between the table (2-3) and the values used in the example for a healing factor of 2. The table tells us the DC is 25, but they use 20 in the example.

The table is correct. The DC should be 25. I modified the table after I wrote the example and forgot to go back and change that number. The paragraph should read:
"For example, if a healer wanted to use short-term care and attempt a factor level 2 Heal check on Thunderhead, the dwarf barbarian, his base DC is 25. However, if the wounded patient sustanined enough wounds to qualify as Severe (see Table 2-5), then the Heal DC has now been increased to 28 (not taking into account synergy bonuses, which may reduce the DC)."

Now, why wouldn't everyone always apply the healing directly and specifically to the wound? Is it because in such cases,the character do not regain the HP, the healing only affecting the critical effect? I think not. The above quote is consistent with the first one in regard to Healing applied directly to the specific wound , but not with the interpretation I had of the second part, Healing equal to the HP lost in the attack that caused the critical effect. Or maybe if I treat specifically the wound, the healing time will be considered as Aided and if I "generally" heal a target and achieve a result equal to the critical hit damage, I get the Aided healing time as a bonus. In any cases, the critical effects now seem to last for a minimum of 2 weeks (shown in table 2-6), and not until healed under the conditions of the first quote.

I think this is where you are getting confused. Use of the Heal skill is modified by several variables which will affect the overall DC. For example, let's diagnose a really stupid fighter who got really banged up by taking on a dragon. As he is laying on the ground gasping for breath, an assessment of his wounds shows: broken right arm (moderate bludgeoning critical effect) - DC +8; chest slashed open with heavy bleeding (moderate slashing critical effect) - DC +8; loss of 75% of his hit points (Severe wound modifier from table 2-5) - DC +3.

So far the modified DC is +19 to any Heal check performed. The healer can assess the wounds and decide what factor level to attempt. Let's say this healer has tons of ranks in Heal and feels comfortabel in attempting a factor level 2 short-term heal check giving him a total DC of 44 (25+19). If he succeeds, he restores 1d6 hp + the patient's Con modifier. This only restores hit points and does not treat the actual critical wounds in terms of game effects. The fighter's arm is still broken and his chest bears deep gashes, but the bleeding has effectively been slowed or stopped.

Now the healer wants to treat the broken arm (the critical effect/wound). Using a bone setting kit, a modifier of +6 is applied to the Heal DC (which is a base of 15) since we are treating a specific wound and not restoring lost hit points. So to successfully treat the broken arm the DC is 21 and the time to completely heal is reduced by one third (from 3 weeks to 2 weeks).

Further down, there is a table with varying modifiers, notably the Broken Bone (such as Thuderhead's), and accompanying DC Modifier. It also tells you that if successful, all later Heal checks will benefit from a +4 competence bonus until the character is restored to full health. So, as these modifiers haven't been included in Thunderhead's example, and such an attempt can only be made once, that this is an optional check, and that if successful, you gain a bonus. Am I right? And if so, as the check is independent from all other Heal checks, What is the base DC? We are only given modifiers.

That is a separate Heal check (see above) and is optional. It is designed to specifically treat individual critical injuries through non-magical means. In the broken arm example above, if the healer successfully treats the broken arm he gains a +4 bonus to all further Heal checks to that patient until he recovers to full health. The base DC is typically 15 (factor level 0).

Hopefully that clears things up a bit more for you. :)

Remove ads