• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Healing spells and Necromancy

Anime Kidd

Explorer
Lets get right to the point...

Why are there are no healing spells for the necromancy school? I mean it says necromancy has power over life-force so why not? Is it because that it also has power over death and the undead? I can see why it is a Conjuration spell, but then it begs the question why isn't the various inflict wound spells in Conjuration as well? Wouldn't it just be summoning the opposite energies on the victim and cause damage that way? :confused:

Thanee

First Post
I'd suppose that necromancy is tapping the power of negative energy.

However, there are some necromantic healing spells, actually. One is vampiric touch. There's another in MoF IIRC, which transfers hps from yourself to the target. They are not actually healing, but rather transferring life force, tho.

Bye
Thanee

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Anime Kidd said:
Why are there are no healing spells for the necromancy school?

Check out the Dark Arts of Necromancy link in my sig. I addressed this issue with a few necromantic spells that can heal damage.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Frankly I think that whomever thought up "conjuration(healing)" was just looking for an excuse to stay away from the EEEEEVIIIILLL necromantic tag.

There's no reason whatsoever not to just change it if you feel like it.

Umbra

First Post
Anime Kidd said:
Lets get right to the point...

Why are there are no healing spells for the necromancy school?

I would think because Wizards of the Coast don't like it reducing the need/specialness of clerics and other divine casting classes.

Last edited:

Anime Kidd

Explorer
Saeviomagy said:
Frankly I think that whomever thought up "conjuration(healing)" was just looking for an excuse to stay away from the EEEEEVIIIILLL necromantic tag.

There's no reason whatsoever not to just change it if you feel like it.

Oh I know that, but just wanted to see what others think about it. I also plan to make them necromancy spells instead of conjuration for my homebrew. Necromancy in my setting will be considered a 'black art', generally misunderstood about what it actually is and there are very powerful healers found among the necromancer ranks.

Umbra said:
I would think because Wizards of the Coast don't like it reducing the need/specialness of clerics and other divine casting classes.

You mean making them as arcane spells? I wasn't talking about that. You can still keep them as divine spells, but in the school of necromancy. I dont think it would mess with the specialness of divine casters either.

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
The healing spells were from the necromancy school in previous editions. Seems the 3E designers wanted necromancy to be the Evil-only spell school, so they invented the conjuration (healing) thing. One of 3E's few completely unnecessary changes.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
In my campaigns I generally allow Necromancers (not generalist Wizards) to research a Necromantic version of the Cure XXXX Wounds Spells but at one level higher than the equivalent clerical spell (Cure Light Wounds is a 2nd Level Necromancer Spell). If the Necromancer were to choose to share that spell with other Wizards they'd come under fire from the various faiths for turning the flock's eyes away from the divine so the PC Necromancer is HIGHLY encouraged to keep the spell secret.

Just a house rule but it helps when nobody wants to play the Cleric/Medic.

Anime Kidd

Explorer
Yeah I came to the same conclusion about having arcane healing spells as one level higher, though I also thought that some of the higher level ones might be two levels higher to represent how inefficient arcane healing really is. But along with that I would also forbid then from having any sort of area healing spell or any form of the Heal spell.

TheLostSoul

Explorer
Evil and Necromancy

I have played the last three editions og D&D (2nd Ed. AD&D, 3rd Ed. D&D and 3.5 Ed. D&D) and have been quite annoyed be the fact that it is almost impossible to play a decent, good-alligned Necromancer and in 3rd Ed. it has, IMO, become even worse. I have had several concepts for wizards, focused in their study of death and dying, in an attempt to help a loved one, a community or even world. Problem is that their spell-lists are too focused on the evil necromancy rather than white necromancy. The Healing Touch spell (fram Magic of Faerun) is one of the few good exampels of a good-alligned necromancy spell and is one of my favorite spells.
As far as I know, most Necromancy supplements focuses almost solely on the fun of animating the dead, in a variety of ways and in different forms. It would be nice to see a suplement, that also looks and the other sides of Necromancy and provides more oppotunities for Necromancers, who are not evil. A good choice would be to create a few healing spells, that, besides heals, also have a drawback. Like the HP transferrance of Healing Touch or just having them weaker than their counterpart divine spells. I guess that this is a fools hope, however.

No one who is truly in love is truly happy - Aaron Stainthorpe

Remove ads