• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hel me with some Skill Challenge ideas...

Sen Udo-Mal

First Post
So in a round-robin D&D 4th game that I am playing in I am about ready to start my turn up again as DM. We are playing mostly old classic D&D modules and I am playing on running the first part of Scourge of the Slavelords (especially as we are playing through the Moathouse adventure, good tie-in). We are 6th level right now and fairly close to 7th and in the first part of the game the players are invited to a week long festival of Dame Gold’s.

During the festival the party will get to interact and meet with a number of important people in the area and I would like to have two or three Skill Challenges for the party to gain some information and interesting rumors from these… but my problem, what info or rumors should I give?? I am drawing a big blank here and just can’t seem to think up anything good to give the heroes in this challenges. I was thinking maybe one bit of info would be about the Slavers and raids and possible base of operation. Any other ideas that I might give the heroes? Or are there better ideas for things I should do? I would love to try get some challenges here but I have never figure out how to do a good one yet (to be fair we as a group have never had any luck with them either)..

Thanks

EDIT: Crude... title should be HELP d'oh :(

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
Are you starting with A1? (I don't have the mega-module, just the old individual ones.)

Here are some suggestions:

- The slavers are operating out of Highport in a ruined temple complex.
- The slavers are overconfident and won't expect a well-armed strike force.
- There's a secret entrance into their complex.
- The slavers are led by a medusa who turns her enemies to stone. (This isn't true but it might cause them to stock up on remove affliction in case the basilisks nail them.)
- The slavers have some harpies; if you put wax in your ears their songs won't affect you.
- Maybe a sketch of a map from someone who escaped.
- etc. Other details about the encounters. You might want to write up the NPCs with personalities and give the PCs some way to exploit them; a power struggle within the slaver's camp seems fitting.

You could give the PCs other support, such as potions or minor consumables, on successes, depending on what the PCs are doing.

Failures could be...

- People don't like the PCs stirring up trouble and tell them to stop. Make up an NPC and have him tell people to stop talking to the PCs. "We'll just pay the ransom like we agreed! These fools will get our loved ones killed."
- An agent of the slavers reports back to them about the PCs. The slavers will step up their guard patrols for the next week.
- ??

Sen Udo-Mal

First Post
Are you starting with A1? (I don't have the mega-module, just the old individual ones.)

Here are some suggestions:

Yes, in the Mega-Adventure the group is invited to a big festival of one Dame Gold and then sent off to Slavepits of the Undercity.

Hmm those are good thoughts thanks!!! Hmm and there are some extra suggestions in the base adventure also about Romance, Jeolousy, Conflict, Financial Interests, that I might add to various Success/Failures also.

(so a Success might grant the info and a Romantic Interest towards them, while a Failure would not only count towards failure but also a Jeolousy or Conflict)

Remove ads