HellHound's Maps - Underdark and Beyond (13 Maps)

IronWolf

blank
Nice looking maps! I hope you keep posting the maps you end up making for your Underdark campaign. I have a party of PC's that is frequently finding themselves in the FR version of the Underdark, so I can never have too many maps of that sort.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
First off, here's a revised version of the first map with a grid added to it.

The grid is a little weird, but that's because it took me some work to get it in place.

:)

IronWolf -

I'll keep posting maps as I make them. I love maps. And I'm going to need a few more just for the lakeside adventures I have planned.

Ferret -

It was once a temple used by Kuo-Toa - that's the structure at the south end of the map with the well in front of it in the rough cave. They also had the back exit. Later it was taken over by slavers, who built the double fortress fronting the main cavern, as well as the look-out tower that has since collapsed by the back entrance. Now, it depends on what you want it to be. In my campaign, it has just been put back together by another group of slavers, but they haven't found the two secret door, and have not bothered to move into the back entrance area.

Eosin -

Hopefully, since most of these maps are based around a huge underground lake, you'll find stuff you can use for a non-underdark campaign - all you need is a lake or ocean up against a cliff-face for most of the ones I'll be posting.

Attachments

• map1 with grid.jpg
    map1 with grid.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 429

HellHound

Here's the next one in the set, and old monestary, now abandonned.

It was a rare drow monestary back in the day. A bastion of law for drow who sought the training provided here. It was a small monestary, but the power of those who resided within kep ti safe for generations. In time, a few other monks joined the order, finally including two githzerai, one of whom became the master of this enclave. It was the githzerai presence that brought about the end, however, as an inquisition of mind flayers struck in order to destroy their hated ex-slaves, and they not only killed the master of the order and his brother, but also all but two of the monks, and destroyed the stone bridge that linked the island monestary to the shore and the underdark caves.

Who lives there now? Up to you... in our game it will -probably- be the base of some aboleth slaves who have whatever item the party is seeking.

Attachments

• map2.jpg
    map2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 400
  • map 2 on parchment.jpg
    map 2 on parchment.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 536

HellHound

Oh yeah,

Cthulhu's Librarian -

Of course you can use it! That's why I'm posting them here, not to show off, but to give back to the community that gave me some awesome maps for this very campaign over the last year.

Wow! I really love the parchment and the maps. You are definitely better than just a fari map maker. Do you draw them free-hand and then scan into PhotoShop?

Man I really need to bane up on my PShop skills.

Very very nice work.

- Val

HellHound

Yep, drawn free-hand, I love that style of mapping.

The only thing I do in photoshop to the base maps is I white out the map grid in the areas where I don't want it. Oh, and superimpose them on parchment that I made over the last few weeks.

HellHound

Could be, Crothian... But I'd need someone to do the write-ups on them or something, making them non-realms specific and eliminating stuff like githzerai and mind flayers from the histories of these places.

---

here's how the party is getting to the ocean in question - the ancient Dwarven Stair. This access to the shores of the dark sea navigates down 120 feet from a small abandonned fortress at the top with accesses to the underdark, to the stony shore of the sea itself.

Attachments

• map3.jpg
    map3.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 378
  • map3 on parchment.jpg
    map3 on parchment.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 474

HellHound

Here's a bigger one that I enjoyed making. I like good multi-level maps that are not too big overall. I like dungeons, I love multi-level environments, but I hate huge sprawling complexes that take forever to explore.

This is a temple to some water deity or another. It has changed hands repeatedly over its existance, and is difficult to maintain because it actually has no other access to the underdark except the one access to the dark sea itself. A small underground river used to enter the deark sea from this point, and the temple was built around it, and the centrepiece of the temple is a waterfall chamber leading to a large pool. The river pours down from the centre of the ceiling of the chamber, and pours down past the observation deck on the top level, the blessing platform on the second level, and into the pool proper below, where the water is channeled into the dark sea itself.

Attachments

• map4.jpg
    map4.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 346
  • map 4 on parchment.jpg
    map 4 on parchment.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 474

arwink

Clockwork Golem
HellHound said:
Could be, Crothian... But I'd need someone to do the write-ups on them or something, making them non-realms specific and eliminating stuff like githzerai and mind flayers from the histories of these places.

Waves hand in the air.

I'd do it :)

Remove ads