• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

HellHound's Maps - Underdark and Beyond (13 Maps)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
If anyone has any requests, I'd like to take a hack at a few when I have some spare time. I lack inspiration even more than I lack mapping skills. :)

silentspace

First Post
Beautiful maps!

How about a svirfneblin city? My players are about to enter one in a pbp game here on enworld. It's been taken over by a couple mindflayers and their goons. In the caverns under the city is a rift filled with poisonous clouds that heads deep into the ancient underdark

HellHound

Yoinks! That's a mighty big order, Silentspace. For now I'm going to give it a pass for the city proper. I'm a lot more comfortable with locales, not big areas. The biggest one I did so far in this style is the trading & salvaging outpost, and that has room for maybe a hundred denizens total, nothing close to a city in scale.

To go bigger, I'd have to change scales, or switch to multiple sheets.

I may give a shot at a few -sections- of the smurf city... errr... svirf city, like a city gate, the town hall, and so on.

HellHound

Number 6 in the sea-shore underdark set - maybe the last in the set? Maybe one more.... then I'll start doing some non-seashore based ones.

This is a quick one, but a big one on paper (full sheet map). It's a bridge over a river that feeds into the sea, the bridge top is about 50 feet above the river, so the bottom is probably about 40 feet above. There is a little guard tower onthe upper ledge, 20 feet above the ledge and bridge (60 feet above the water level).

The location is nice for use in game as a way-point because it is memorable (bridge, river, guardpost, long old worn down stairs to the seashore), and it acts as an intersection, with three egresses into the underdark proper from here, as well as access to the sea and to a minor shipping waterway.

I didn't like this one much when it was about 2/3 done, but now when I look at it, it's one of my faves in the set. Definitely got the feel across a lot better than the dwarven stair.

Attachments

• map6.jpg
    map6.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 265
  • map 6 on parchment.jpg
    map 6 on parchment.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 360

A wizard's private sanctum in the underdark, built in water-carved tunnels near a massive underground lake. The lair itself starts with a narrow tunnel that opens into a flooded room with only stalactites and stalagmites, which can only be easily navigated with flight magic, spiderclimb, swimming, or (if you're drow) levitating and pushing yourself from stone pillar to stone pillar.

The interior of the lair has a bit of a spiral upward, with a trap door in the wizard's personal chamber that actually opens into the ceiling of the flooded entry chamber. The wizard has a trophy room for all the monsters she's killed, a sculpture room to practice stoneshaping, and a false escape in her personal chamber that will hopefully distract attention away from the trap door in the floor. The false escape leads to some sort of death trap.

HellHound

Thanks, Trace!

Ryan - I'll give it a try once I get the latest two PoD releases up and ready to go.

HellHound

Okay, as soon as I get my scanner back from the eldest gelfling, I'll post up my latest maps. One was from Ryan's description... well... mostly. It's off in a few ways from the initial description, but I like it a lot. A LOT a lot. It turned out really nice, for something that takes up 1/3 of a sheet of graph paper.

The second was something I need for my game, a cathedral on the shore of the sea. I have a thing for temples, forgotten gods, cults and so on... Out of the 8 seaside maps, three involve temples (the first has the old kuo-toa temple as the basis for the fortress, there's the water temple, and now this cathedral).

Now that the seaside is out of my system, I'll finally give those Smurfs... err... Svirfs a shot.

HellHound

Ryan's Lair

I loved this one on paper, but it doesn't look quite as good scanned. :(

It's the lair for Ryan, hope you like it!

Attachments

• map7.jpg
    map7.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 266
  • map 7 on parchment.jpg
    map 7 on parchment.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 358

Remove ads