• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Helmets

Triangleman27

First Post
[FONT=&quot]Helmets reduce the likelihood of Critical hits by providing a minor boost (+1 to +3) to your AC when your opponent rolls a natural 20 on an attack vs. AC (only). Most helmets require proficiency in certain types of armor to use effectively (example: plate armor for a full, visored helm). Races with horns or unusual cranial shapes need helmets customized for them (+25% gp value). Some helmets may penalize Perception skill checks.

Since critical confirmations are now static, is this a potentially unbalancing house rule? Helmets don't prevent regular hits the way armor does and an assailant can still roll maximum damage.
[/FONT]

generalhenry

First Post
so that's a 3E house rule that you're converting into 4E right?

How about instead of AC only for confirmation roles. the helm forces them to role 1, 2 or 3 dice instead of maximizing. While still getting the usual bonus dice.

Maximillian

First Post
I think it's the sort of thing that's better suited to a magical item. Helmets are included in a suit of armor, and so should already be included in the benefit.

If you like it, you need to balance its cost against the cost of magical goods that have similar effects. Mind you, there aren't any items like this, so I'd say it's probably on par with a Level 1 magical item. Don't have my book in front of me, but is there a level one head slot item you can compare it to?

Terwox

First Post
I imagine it will also be a largely inconsequential rule in 4E -- there are very few monsters who will miss you on a 17 that you will be fighting throughout the levels -- and that's the only time the +3 AC would come into play after a nat 20.

Triangleman27

First Post
I imagine it will also be a largely inconsequential rule in 4E -- there are very few monsters who will miss you on a 17 that you will be fighting throughout the levels -- and that's the only time the +3 AC would come into play after a nat 20.

I see your point and that my concern about static critical confirmation is valid.

The AC boost at a nat 20 will have to be much higher. The attack bonus vs. AC for level 1 monsters ranges from 4 to 8 (DMG p. 184) so that would be a much more sensible range for the helmet bonus.

Okay. The revised helmet bonus range on a nat 20 is 8 (allowing a lvl 1 PC with chainmail and a light shield to cancel crits from lvl 1-2 Brutes) to 10 (allowing a lvl 1 PC with plate armor and a heavy shield to cancel crits from lvl 1-2 Soldiers).

Last edited:

Remove ads