Help! A character in need of optimization!-sort of...

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Damn, someone beat me to the artificer suggestion. Seconded, then. :)

I remember reading a fantasy novel where one of the characters was seen as a huge failure by his spellcasting parents because he couldn't cast. It turned out that he was really good at making items magical (which ended up saving the day, natch).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Since you're supposed to be "magic dead", take a look at the anti-mage feats in Complete Arcane and Complete Mage.

If he's going to be built around magic items an Artificer with the serial numbers filed off might work well from a gains magical ability without spell casting.
Always consider keeping the mechanic of a class while altering the fluff. Basically, you want magic effects, some skills, and an anti-magic flare. How about playing a warlock who gets all of his effects not from magic and dark pacts but from technology?

Honestly, I see this as the perfect chance to play a Binder.
How about a spell thief? It's not quite magic dead, but it does fit your character background as an anti-mage....

Lots of good suggestions, y'all! (FWIW, despite my dislike of the Warlock class, that is the one I liked the most.)

My own:

1) Consider using a class from Magic of Incarnum. Your PC isn't actually "magic-dead" he merely cannot channel it in the normal fashion.

2) Consider playing a Rogue/Soulknife, dual wielding your wand with your mindblade. Its not the same, but it has a similar vibe.

3) Consider a divine spellcaster of some kind- they get their power from an outside source, so being "magic-dead" isn't an issue.

BTW, don't forget to get a Quiver of Ehlonna- many, many multiples of wands will fit in that "bolt/arrow" compartment.

Just play a rogue

with Skill Focus: UMD and a circlet of persuasion. That alone will give you a +6 to your UMD rolls.

5th level rogue: 8 ranks, 14 CHA, SF UMD and the circlet is +16 on his UMD check. Since you get an additional +2 to activate items you've activated before, he only needs to roll a 2 on a d20 to activate a wand.

Now take all those cool wand feats, and you're done.

Ken

Slaygrim

First Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

Haffrung Helleyes said:
with Skill Focus: UMD and a circlet of persuasion. That alone will give you a +6 to your UMD rolls.

5th level rogue: 8 ranks, 14 CHA, SF UMD and the circlet is +16 on his UMD check. Since you get an additional +2 to activate items you've activated before, he only needs to roll a 2 on a d20 to activate a wand.

Now take all those cool wand feats, and you're done.

Ken

What cool wand feats did you have in mind?

Remove ads