• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help ASAP! Going to run soon.

meltinbradley

First Post
Hello fellow gamers,
I am running my 3.5 game tomorrow.
One of the players is half janni. He has the ability to plane shift to the astral plane.
What he wants to do is get into the Red Dragons stomach and plane shift to the astral plane.
What would that do exactly? He thinks it would destroy the dragon and maybe him in the process...which for story, if he wants to kill his character to kill the dragon, im actually ok with.
However, he doesn't really want to die. I don't really know what that would do however.
Is plane shift opening a portal to the astral plane or do you just "pop" there?
If it would kill the dragon, would it, should it be allowed a save? Should PC's get xp for creative yet, there was little risk.
The Red Dragon will be willing to parlay so it wont be difficult to pull this stunt with his abilities. I also don't want to metagame this situation and "be prepared."
Any help would be great! Thanks!

If a player got swallowed hole by any monster and used any form of planar shifting, I wouldn't have it hurt the monster. The player would be free and deprive the monster of a meal, but I don't see how it would cause damage. As for the nested extradimensional space trick, IIRC that only causes a problem for people/things inside the extradimensional space. Again, the monster would be safe.

meltinbradley

First Post
This is what I have so far. The player is going to need protection from acid and fire for traveling into the dragon. Check. Then he will have to use the items together, thus destroying the items and creating a
portal to the astral plane sucking them both in. I'm going with the dragon gets turned inside out and dies
instantly and he is now stuck in the astral plane.

The combining of a extradimensional space with the haversacks outcome is stated in the dmg. A fairly
creative idea but nothing outside the box.

This is whats bothering me. Can I argue that there would be a save? Is there a chance the dragon could survive? If so, how would that look, and can it make sense?

If he does pull this off does he get xp for this? Of course, but giving him xp for killing a dragon alone will
put him atleast 2 levels above everyone else.

Finally, anyone have a crazy idea for what would happen in this scenario. A well thought out idea that
makes sense in my mind would be a lot cooler than a auto kill.

In the end, if i go with my plan, the player is out of the game. He has no way of returning to the prime except for 7 minutes a day. At some point some astral denizen will kill him. In essence its his life for the
dragons, BUT im open to some creative ideas about this whole portal in the dragons belly encounter.

meltinbradley

First Post
If a player got swallowed hole by any monster and used any form of planar shifting, I wouldn't have it hurt the monster. The player would be free and deprive the monster of a meal, but I don't see how it would cause damage. As for the nested extradimensional space trick, IIRC that only causes a problem for people/things inside the extradimensional space. Again, the monster would be safe.

In the DMG it states: If a portable hole is placed in a bag of holding it opens a gate to the astral plane. The hole, the bag, and any creature s within a 10 foot radius are drawn there, destroying the portable hole and bag of holding in the process. Thats why im going with the above.....

meltinbradley

First Post
Another idea I came up with is the dragon takes massive damage and rolls a fort save it will probably make. The portal wasn't strong enough to pull the dragon through. Its too big, its bones and internal organs, fortitude are too strong, and the magic that makes up dragons in general keep it from being torn apart. The player gets a difficult reflex save that will probably fail and he is sucked up but if he rolls high he grabs a rib or maybe gets stuck between the intestines or something like that.
It states the items are destroyed but does not state the portal is gone. Its possible the portal is a one way portal to the astral plane. When the party finishes the dragon off and begin searching its internal body for the player a portal is there and the party can see where that leads or do some research to figure out where the portal goes and try to save there friend. The timing is a off for this to happen, but I did tell him to roll a new character. Maybe he can play his new character and the pcs can decide later what to do about the portal and their companion.
Just doing a bit of freestyle as the game starts soon. Dont have time to think about it much.

Remove ads