• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! - character very poisoned

Xilo

First Post
Hi All,

I need a little advice. I was running my PCs through a village infested with spiders last week and one of the PCs got bit, a lot. He basically failed all of his saves and was reduced really fast to a strength of 0.

Unfortunately the rest of the party want to head off down into the tunnels to find out what is going on, and I'm not overly keen to have him left behind. Short of having a random NPC cleric who is able to cast lesser restoration turn up is there any way to have him up and running? I have no problem slipping a couple potions in for them to find that will give him the ability to walk, even if he can't to melee. I just can't find a spell (other than the restoration family) that will help.

Any thoughts?

Thanee

First Post
Does anyone have the Heal skill (or at least decent Wisdom)? You might allow them to counteract the poison at least partially with that (grant an extra saving throw, though normally that has to be done right afterwards) and get him back up to speed. Always nice to be able to make use of skills. :)

Bye
Thanee

adwyn

Community Supporter
A Heal check, DC equal to whatever the player rolls, reveals that eating one of the spiders will temporarily increase strength by 1 but penalize Dex and Wisdom by 2 each.

Xilo

First Post
adwyn said:
A Heal check, DC equal to whatever the player rolls, reveals that eating one of the spiders will temporarily increase strength by 1 but penalize Dex and Wisdom by 2 each.

Hmmm, great idea. I think I can work with that.
Thanks.

Cedric

First Post
adwyn said:

I'd actually do the same thing, only apply it to some small rodent that seems to live among the spiders, immune to their venoms.

Edit: Actually, that's not true at all, I'd kill the player off. But "if" I were going to help with a way out, I'd go with the idea above (good idea, btw).

Xilo

First Post
Cedric said:
Edit: Actually, that's not true at all, I'd kill the player off. But "if" I were going to help with a way out, I'd go with the idea above (good idea, btw).

I thought about that, but decided that I want them to at least get into the tunnels before killing him. It seems to be rather lacking in dignity to have him die on the bed, strength gone and unable to defend himself.

I think I'm being a bit of a softy. It's my first campaign after all.

Xilo

First Post
blargney the second said:
If you go to the Rules Forum, there are some folks that will tell you to cast ray of enfeeblement on him. ;)
-blarg

Hmm... the only arcane spell caster doesn't have that spell, but that would be kind of funny :heh:

Cedric

First Post
Surely these PCs aren't the first to assail this area, and likely aren't the first to have had a member fall. Keeping that in mind, you could sow in some bits and pieces of treasure from slain adventures (skeletons still wearing rusted armor, etc).

In that cache, you could toss in some potions and the like.

Henrix

Explorer
Xilo said:
I have no problem slipping a couple potions in for them to find that will give him the ability to walk, even if he can't to melee. I just can't find a spell (other than the restoration family) that will help.
Uhm, what's wrong with the restoration spells? They're the standard way to restore lost ability points.

Why not just let them find a potion of lesser restoration (worth 300gp), or a scroll (if they have anyone able to use it). It'll restore 1d4 points, enough to let him walk around.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads