• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help finding an open content monster

Beholder Bob

First Post
I’m looking for a replacement for Witchknives in a module I’m working on – they play the heavies (masters of a slaver ring), and I need an open content monster to take their place. Any ideas?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I don't know "Witchknives" but, ignoring them, what sort of things do you wish for your "heavies" to be capable of doing and/or not doing? What CR approximately do you wish them to be?

Beholder Bob

First Post
I believe they are from MM2. They are monstrous humanoids with a natural ability to use Command (per the spell) and a limited use of Greater Command. I’m looking for an open content monster that is humanoid and has the ability to make others do their whims. I believe they are CR 6.

Beholder Bob

First Post
Chain devils are nasty, but I need a race that is good at controlling the minds of folks - it doesn't have to be a dominate (in fact, command and greater command is all these guys have), but enough to make them major mind pushers

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Beholder Bob said:
Chain devils are nasty, but I need a race that is good at controlling the minds of folks - it doesn't have to be a dominate (in fact, command and greater command is all these guys have), but enough to make them major mind pushers

Use the Chain Devil, remove their regenerate and unnerving gaze abilities, and add command and greater command as spell-like abilities, then describe them somewhat differently. You wanted an OGL-friendly creature for some reason, so why not take advantage of that? :)

Voadam

Legend
Do they need to look human?

Into the black by Bastion Press has a mindflayer analogue race, begins with a P. Palethemon?

Complete Minions by Bastion has Parietophages, another mind flayer analogue.

Bastion is very free with OGC, I believe minions is 100% OGC.

Tome of Horrors Revised is very good as well for OGC, other SSS/WW d20 monster books are very restrictive, just allowing stats. So creature collections, everquest monsters, and Warcraft monsters are not good fits unless you are willing to rename creatures.

Len

Prodigal Member
How about using a humanoid with class levels? Command is a cleric spell, but I like a sorcerer or bard using suggestion. (We had a mindbender messing us up pretty good in one of our games recently, but that's a non-open PrC.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads