• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help for a Rogue/Fighter

Angerland

First Post
Hey all, just like the subject line reads, I need a bit of help. I am looking to do up a character who is a mix of thrown weapons and melee combat, using mainly daggers and sych. I came across the Whisperknife PrC in races of the Wild and I really like it. I've looked at Invisible Blade and Master Thrower from Complete Warrior. While they are both very good PrC's, I still am in favor of Whisper Knife, but with a possibility of mixing the other two in. I don't want to lose being good at both types of combat and take advantage of SA damage at range or in melee. No matter what I play my personal style always seems to get me in a front line fight at some point. Another thing abotu WK that I really like is the skill points and class skills. I will be able to continue to add disable device and search as class skills. This character would most likely be the psuedo skill monkey of the party.
All Core, Races of, Complete, PHB2 open, no Forgotten realms, and very limited eberron available. Race is currently open, I have DM ok to use a race other than Halfling for Whisperknife, I am not a fan of the smaller races personally.

Here is what I have so far, I need help please with feats after level 6 and with Prc Level placement if going more than Whisperknife. I could qualify for the PrC at level 6, but I took one more level of Ftr to squeak out a bonus feat. Feats not placed that I like are: Flick of the Wrist (CW), Dead Eye Shot (PHB2), Ranged/melee weapon Mastery. At 1st level of Whisperknife I gain rapid shot as a bonus feat.
1. Rogue 1 - Point Blank Shot
2. Rogue 2
3. Rogue 3 - Weapon Finesse
4. Rogue 3/Fighter 1 - *Two weapon Fighting
5. Rog3/Ftr2 - *Quick Draw
6. Rog3/Ftr3 - Weapon Focus (Dagger)
7. Rog3/Ftr4 - ?? *Weapon Specilization maybe?

Is Whisper Knife worth taking all 10 levels of? If not, how would you mix it with IB and MT?
I appreciate any help you all would be willing to give me. Thanks in advance

Darklone

I don't have the Whisperknife thing but yes, Weapon Spec is necessary and worth it... since it's a prerequisite for the Weapon Mastery feats.

Would it be possible to use flaws for extra feats? If you don't plan to do sneak attack smackdowns, a few levels of racial paragon halfling wouldn't hurt either.

Ok:
Whisperknife/Masterthrower
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=768814

Example:
http://boards1.wizards.com/archive/index.php/t-840521.html

Google is your friend.

Personally the Swift Ambusher combo with a rog/scout instead of rogue/fighter or the rog/swash with Daring Outlaw appeals to me as well... you'll lose feats though. Still, the swashies Int to damage does not apply to all enemies but causes usually more damage than the Weapon Spec/MWM or RWM path.

Last edited:

Darklone

What about Rgr2/Sco4/Rog3? Swift Hunter and Swift Ambusher? 2 Favored enemies (undead and constructs to sneak attack and skirmish them). TWF as ranger bonus feat and another bonus feat at Sco4. You'll be a bit late at Whisperknife though... But one level Invisible Blade fits still in ;)

What are your attributes?

Darklone

dutorn said:
If you're looking to throw into combat, you should fit precise shot in there as well.
IMX for a thrower it's not so interesting since you only need it when you can do melee with TWF as well. Far Shot is often more interesting.

But this guy here has a severe "halfling feet" shortage.

Angerland

First Post
thanks for the quick responses guys. Good point about the Specialization, I thought I was missing something. No attributes done yet. we normally roll for them. I think I would make Dex and Int priorities, then Str con wisdom cha. The main goal I am looking for is a character good at both throwing daggers and fighting in melee. I know I am kind of gimping myslef by not specializing in one or the other, I just don't want to be SOL when I get into melee with a character is all. Plus I think it gives me more flexability with my SA damage. I can throw the daggers at you, or step up and put one through your ribs from behind..

These are the times when I wish weapon focus and specialization covered more than just one weapon. like WF (knives) to cover dagger, punching dagger, kukri, etc...

yeah, no halflings for me. I thought I might take far shot over precise shot. any use in going further up the TWF tree with a mix fighter type lkike this?

one more thought, as a human I would get a bonus feat I could do TWF as the bonus feat at 1st level freeing up another spot earlier in the tree for...um....??

Darklone

Then swashbuckler looks good... If you have good Int and decent str, your TWF damage will be pretty nice (since Int to damage is not halved for off-hand weapon). Dex to hit is nice but not mandatory. Rog3/Swash3/Ftr4. Many feats, MWM.
These are the times when I wish weapon focus and specialization covered more than just one weapon. like WF (knives) to cover dagger, punching dagger, kukri, etc...
Take Tempest. Nice TWF class with rocking abilities AND you got that nice ability that your WS and WF and Imp Crit works for more than one weapon. prerequs are tough sadly.

rgard

Adventurer
Angerland said:
Hey all, just like the subject line reads, I need a bit of help. I am looking to do up a character who is a mix of thrown weapons and melee combat, using mainly daggers and sych. I came across the Whisperknife PrC in races of the Wild and I really like it. I've looked at Invisible Blade and Master Thrower from Complete Warrior. While they are both very good PrC's, I still am in favor of Whisper Knife, but with a possibility of mixing the other two in. I don't want to lose being good at both types of combat and take advantage of SA damage at range or in melee. No matter what I play my personal style always seems to get me in a front line fight at some point. Another thing abotu WK that I really like is the skill points and class skills. I will be able to continue to add disable device and search as class skills. This character would most likely be the psuedo skill monkey of the party.
All Core, Races of, Complete, PHB2 open, no Forgotten realms, and very limited eberron available. Race is currently open, I have DM ok to use a race other than Halfling for Whisperknife, I am not a fan of the smaller races personally.

Here is what I have so far, I need help please with feats after level 6 and with Prc Level placement if going more than Whisperknife. I could qualify for the PrC at level 6, but I took one more level of Ftr to squeak out a bonus feat. Feats not placed that I like are: Flick of the Wrist (CW), Dead Eye Shot (PHB2), Ranged/melee weapon Mastery. At 1st level of Whisperknife I gain rapid shot as a bonus feat.
1. Rogue 1 - Point Blank Shot
2. Rogue 2
3. Rogue 3 - Weapon Finesse
4. Rogue 3/Fighter 1 - *Two weapon Fighting
5. Rog3/Ftr2 - *Quick Draw
6. Rog3/Ftr3 - Weapon Focus (Dagger)
7. Rog3/Ftr4 - ?? *Weapon Specilization maybe?

Is Whisper Knife worth taking all 10 levels of? If not, how would you mix it with IB and MT?
I appreciate any help you all would be willing to give me. Thanks in advance

If you won't miss SA, try the martial rogue variant from UA. You lose the SA, but gaing the fighter bonus feat progression.

It's feat-city with fighter levels.

Edit, somehow lost most my text?

Angerland

First Post
part of what I am looking forward to is hitting with daggers and adding in descent SA damage, that is why I took the 3rd level of Rogue before Fighter and one of the reasons I like Whisperknife as a PrC. Another player will be playing a Paladin so there will already be a bit of a tank up front for me to flank with and get lots of good SA chances.

Do I maybe need to add in Improved Init as my Human Bonus feat at 1st level to really be sure of getting the baddies Flat footed?

I looked at Ranger vs. Fighter for this build and I went in favor of the better HD and feats.

Remove ads