• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! I can't reach anything! (The immobilized Warpriest's lament)

Prestidigitalis

First Post
What can a Warpriest do to get a decent ranged attack?

With no ranged powers, the Warpriest can only attack at range with an RBA; but with neither Str nor Dex as a secondary ability score, the RBA will probably just miss, and won't do much damage even if it hits.

This presents a problem when immobilized, against opponents who are flying or otherwise removed from reach, and when a charge is impossible due to any combination of distance, difficult terrain, slowed status or dazed+prone. (And even a charge will be relatively ineffective without Melee Training.)

A reach weapon will help in a few cases, but the only generically practical option I can think of is to go with human and take a ranged power such as Sacred Flame as a third at-will, or half-elf and take a Wis- or Con-based ranged power for dilettante.

By contrast, the Knight can get amazing synergy with a Farslayer weapon, which allows an MBA at range 5, and thereby even allows the stance to have an effect.

Any suggestions? And is this a new phenomenon, or is there another class build that is similarly constrained?

Dausuul

Legend
This does appear to be a major warpriest weakness.

One option is to look to your daily powers. You can pick up a bunch of laser-cleric dailies from 4E Classic, which would give you some options when locked down.

Or, if you can get your hands on a farslayer weapon, just take Melee Training (Wisdom).

Mengu

First Post
Be human, and you can grab a range 5 at-will attack.

Be half-elf and you have a few dilettante options for ranged attack based on Con or Wis, or Direct the Strike (encounter through heroic, at-will at paragon if you want it).

Multiclass Invoker to grab an encounter ranged attack like Hand of Radiance or Divine Bolts.

Grab Pact Initiate if you have the charisma for it, and you can grab a Con based encounter ranged attack.

But other than a few per encounter ways of getting a ranged attack, it's tough being a warpriest stuck at range. You just soak up some damage and second wind. Then you swing at invisible targets in front of you and hand out resistance, saves, or damage bonus (thanks to most the at-will powers having an Effect).

Larrin

Entropic Good
I think a player I play encounters with noticed this and he made a halfling warpriest with 16 (18 after racial) in dex and has killed things with his sling. Not an optimized build, but funny and functional, and fast since he wears hide. They definitely need some holy laser options.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
But other than a few per encounter ways of getting a ranged attack, it's tough being a warpriest stuck at range. You just soak up some damage and second wind. Then you swing at invisible targets in front of you and hand out resistance, saves, or damage bonus (thanks to most the at-will powers having an Effect).

Can you do that -- use a power without an actual target, just to get the Effect?

There are a few other things you can do that don't involve attacking, like Aid Another to increase defenses, move to give someone cover, or bring feats into play like Shield the Fallen, etc. But immobilize would prevent a lot of those.

Dausuul suggested Melee Training plus a Farslayer Weapon (which I mentioned individually above, but didn't think to combine) to get a decent at-will MBA at range. That's a feat slot and a dedicated weapon type -- kind of expensive; it's worth it for the Knight because it allows the stance to have an effect, but the Warpriest gets no such benefit.

Dausuul

Legend
Dausuul suggested Melee Training plus a Farslayer Weapon (which I mentioned individually above, but didn't think to combine) to get a decent at-will MBA at range. That's a feat slot and a dedicated weapon type -- kind of expensive; it's worth it for the Knight because it allows the stance to have an effect, but the Warpriest gets no such benefit.

On the other hand, Melee Training is also useful in ordinary melee, as it allows the warpriest to make effective opportunity attacks and charges. I would say this is a worthwhile investment. The main problem is that the minimum level for a farslayer weapon is 13, meaning you won't be able to use this combo until early/mid-Paragon.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Can't you just swap a standard cleric at-will like lance of faith for one of the ones granted by your domain? They're all listed as "Cleric Attack 1" so I thought that was doable. I know the CB won't let you do that right now, but I'm not exactly going to trust it as a source at this point and I don't have HotFL with me right now.

nicholasgeorg

First Post
Then don't play a warpriest, maybe? Some of these laments remind me of students asking the professor what's going to be on the final. The whole concept behind party makeup is that not everyone can do everything.

Remove ads