• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help! I need help updating the Heart of Nightfang Spire!

Laman Stahros

First Post
Okay, I'm trying to update/convert the Heart of Nightfang Spire adventure from WOTC to 3.5 and I've hit a snag. In the adventure, there are a group of underground dwelling Girallons, some of whom are enslaved and therefore hostile. The problem is that in 3.0, Girallons had a face(space) of 5 ft with a reach of 10 ft, but in 3.5, they have a space(face) of 10 ft with a reach of 10 ft. So, they don't fit in the locations anymore (6 in a 20 ft square room). I need help finding a replacement race, preferably medium sized, near CR 6. I have all of WOTC's monster books and a number of others, so fire away.

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
Laman Stahros said:
Okay, I'm trying to update/convert the Heart of Nightfang Spire adventure from WOTC to 3.5 and I've hit a snag. In the adventure, there are a group of underground dwelling Girallons, some of whom are enslaved and therefore hostile. The problem is that in 3.0, Girallons had a face(space) of 5 ft with a reach of 10 ft, but in 3.5, they have a space(face) of 10 ft with a reach of 10 ft. So, they don't fit in the locations anymore (6 in a 20 ft square room). I need help finding a replacement race, preferably medium sized, near CR 6. I have all of WOTC's monster books and a number of others, so fire away.

Ah, dude, why not just make the room bigger? Or have fewer girallons and increase their hp?

You *are* the Dungeon Master, you know.

Impeesa

Explorer
Speaking as someone with a Large PC, I can tell you the whole adventure path (at least, up to that point, not sure about the rest) really discriminates against the 10x10' folk. Just make the rooms larger. ;)

--Impeesa--

Laman Stahros

First Post
If I make one room larger, then I have to increase the size of the entire Spire. I would find it much simpler to just change these creatures.

Laman Stahros said:
If I make one room larger, then I have to increase the size of the entire Spire. I would find it much simpler to just change these creatures.
Do you map out in extreme detail? If not, then don't worry about it. The players won't notice if you just increase the size of the room, and I doubt they'd notice/care if a room was bigger than it 'should' be.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Turn them into Medium creatures with the Powerful Build ability (see Races of Stone or Expanded Psionics Handbook). You can also give them a 10' reach as a racial ability.

Cheers!

coyote6

Adventurer
Give them Space/Reach 5 ft./10 ft., like they had in 3e. If you feel the need to document the deviation, give them the special ability "Slim (Ex): These girallons have a space of only 5 ft., but retain their 10 ft. reach and all the benefits and drawbacks of being Large."

(That way, you don't have to recalculate attack bonuses or ACs.)

haiiro

First Post
I'd say reduce the number of girallons and use templates to boost them back up to the original EL. Girallons are neat. ;)

Laman Stahros

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Do you map out in extreme detail? If not, then don't worry about it. The players won't notice if you just increase the size of the room, and I doubt they'd notice/care if a room was bigger than it 'should' be.
Well, my players keep high quality maps, which means they pick up on any holes that I leave.

MerricB said:
Turn them into Medium creatures with the Powerful Build ability (see Races of Stone or Expanded Psionics Handbook). You can also give them a 10' reach as a racial ability.
Cool, didn't think of that!

coyote6 said:
Give them Space/Reach 5 ft./10 ft., like they had in 3e. If you feel the need to document the deviation, give them the special ability "Slim (Ex): These girallons have a space of only 5 ft., but retain their 10 ft. reach and all the benefits and drawbacks of being Large."
Nice.

And haiiro, I agree that Girallons are neat.

Thanks folks, I knew I could rely on you folks to break my mental block.

Last edited:

Remove ads