• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me accept psionics

I have always pictured Psionicists as being more-or-less Indian in flavour (Hindu ascetics are all about "mind over body" and Concentration, and I have felt some of those powers have distinctly Hindu flavour). Unfortunately, I know very little about Sanskrit, but throwing terms like "Chakra" and "Prana" around are cool.

There's also the issue of Dark Sun, of course (full disclosure: I'm a DS fanboy). In DS there is a lot of psionic jargon (starting with the term "mindbender" for psionicists) which you may feel is more distinct, "better", or both. "The Will and the Way" was the Dark Sun supplement in 2e that described psionicist culture more thoroughly; you may want to look at that. It's certainly integral to the feel of the setting and, believe me, you may accuse Dark Sun of anything except being Sci-Fi'ish.

RFisher

Explorer
Zaukrie said:
I've never understood the psionics is sci-fi argument. There is nothing particularly scientific about people that can throw items across a room just by thinking about it. That is clearly some kind of magic, at least in the universe as we undestand it.

Much of what was science fiction 40, 60, or 80 year ago is now either fantasy or fact. When I think of science fiction, I still think of many of those those older stories despite the fact that, today, they may no longer fit my personal definition of science fiction.

ephemeron

Explorer
Zaukrie said:
I've never understood the psionics is sci-fi argument. There is nothing particularly scientific about people that can throw items across a room just by thinking about it. That is clearly some kind of magic, at least in the universe as we undestand it.
I'd say that "psionics" is a euphemism for "magic", used in SF settings. "Doc" Smith's Lensmen have amazing powers because of their mastery of their own minds, D&D paladins can cast spells because of their dedication to Lawful Good; the basic idea is pretty much the same.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I look to the Scarred Lands for inspiration on using Psionics. In their minds, much like technology isn't magic, psionics isn't magical. It's more of an "evolutionary" state of being. Thus magic doesn't affect it and vice versa. At least mostly, as mental attacks are indeed blocked by magical mind effects.

Other than that, psionics is like fish and magic is like polar bear.

Hussar

Legend
Actually, I do like the whole "mental disease" thing of SL psionics. A left over from an earlier race. Pretty cool really.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I'm thinking of replacing magic with psionics and calling psionics magic.

I think I can do it if I can get around the healing issues. But if I give every PC Reserve Points, and allow the empathic transfer power some extra abilities (similar to the Dragaon Shaman's lay on hands getting to remove other conditions than hit point loss) then I think I can get away with it.

Because, if you are a pseudo-medieval peasant and you see some dude causing balls of fire to appear, wouldn't you call it magic? :)

There is a 1st level power in Complete Psionic, touch of Healing, I think, that heals 2 hp/pp spent. Add that to all the psionic classes list and you've got basic healing covered.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads