Help me brainstorm "Flintstone Fallout"

okay

long story short, I did a legally distinct world of gneiss city, a world that was inspired by the flintstones with a 30's noir feel.

Here is the overworld map.

Eventually The asteroid is going to hit, creating what I have described as "Flintstone Fallout".

My idea is that when the asteroid hits, it will release a green liquid that corrupts, al la Heavy Metal the movie.

How does it change this world and where are the survivors.

What are the effects of the extinction level effect?

(This is also a place where I am more then happy to take classic post-apocalyptic tropes and mix them with stupid rock puns: ex. The Brotherhood of Stone, so go nuts).

Open to any and all suggestions.

Attachments

• outside map with cities.png
    outside map with cities.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 277

MarkB

Legend
My first thought is "Power Armour" suits that are basically just something like an armoured allosaur carrying the 'operator' papoose-style on the front.

Instead of Vaults, you could have Faults, places where cracks in the landscape caused by the asteroid impact happened to swallow up a town or village, and the inhabitants managed to survive for around six months or so before someone broke through to/from the surface.

And building upon that, just have this constant trope of people referring to the half-remembered ancient times when everything was so much better, the gag being that it was actually less than a year ago, and the technology level wasn't really any better than it is now, things were just a bit more organised.

Aldarc

Legend
Where the asteroid hit could just be called "the Great Depression." So people talk about the Great Depression as a place rather than a time. The event could create Eldritch Horrors of the Cthulhu sort.

As my mind is stuck on the Flintstones, there needs to be a Cult of the Water Buffalo, possibly as a Warlock patron.

You may also want to check out Monte Cook Games's Predation setting for the Cypher System for ideas. It takes place during the Cretaceous Period before the big asteroid, but it involves something akin to Dinoriders: i.e., time-travelers from the far future riding dinosaurs with high tech battle armor and lasers.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
One of the things I like focus on are the kinds of monsters that would exist in the world, and their are a lot of extinct creatures to pull from both for the uncorrupted creatures from before the Astroid hit and the corrupted ones that came into being from the green liquid, which I’m assuming is meant to replace nuclear radiation?

Dragons in this world could be different types of Dinosaurs that have been corrupted by this liquid, making them more fierce and charged with elemental energy. Red Dragons as angry molten T-Rex’s, Blue Dragons as electrically charged Triceratops that burrow through the ground, Green Dragons as terrifying and toxic Brachiosaurus who’s long necks tower over the trees, Black Dragons as acidic Spinosaurs that putrefy any body of water they swim through, and White Dragons as Arctic-dwelling Stegosaurus with ice spikes on its back and tail.

A Chimera could be mutated experiments using the green liquid that mix various Ice age creatures like Saber-Tooth, Wooly Mammoth, and Giant Sloth among others.

Hydras as sauropod that have mutated to grow extra heads and necks, stripping large forests bare of any vegetation.

Instead of Blink Dogs you could have Blink Raptors, terrorizing players in packs that zip in and out of sight.

The greater elementals could be a fiery Archaeopteryx instead of a Phoenix, a watery Mosasaurus instead of a Leviathan, a earthen Ankylosaurus instead of a Zaratan, and a storming Quetzalcoatlus instead of an Elder Tempest.

I’m only really familiar with the more mainstream creatures from ancient times, but I know there is a plethora of extinct creatures to take inspiration from.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Aldarc The cult is a nifty callback to the show.

chefs-kiss-french-chef.gif

@RoughCoronet0 “Blink raptors” are a top-notch idea! Quite terrifying!

One of the things I did with a post-ELE meteoric impact 3.5Ed campaign was to have all surface creatures over size L be extinct, with some smaller fauna- and flora!- evolving to fill their niches. So while dragons were gone, there were smaller creatures with some Draconic features.

Similarly, the green slime has all kinds of thematic similarities to the aforementioned Heavy Metal “The Pact” sequence, as well as portions of the extended Cthulhu Mythos and modern franchises like Resident Evil, Killjoys or The Expanse. I used something like that as a 4Ed character background. His Dwarven clan’s mountaintop enclave scanned the heavens looking for falling stars: some were valuable sources of starmetal, but others were “seeds” from The Far Realm, and created aberrations wherever they struck. You could also have it be the source of magitech/bioweapon/body horror devices.

@MarkB I am so using Faults. I'm using the asteroid strike to switch tiers when the time comes so I like the idea that it's basically a year ago.

@Aldarc great depression...sold! I already added my own freemason society that's essentially the cult of the water buffalo, but they just became the enclave in my world when the time is right. :D

@RoughCoronet0 Your reskinning of monsters are amazing and will be used. :D

@Dannyalcatraz Green slime is a perfect analogue for the green goo (aka the radiation analogue) we add a touch of lovecraft (and if it happens to be the great kazoo, nobody would be surpried :p)

from other threads, but posting here for access:
Brotherhood of Stone - going around collecting all the technology that man has created to preserve it for the future, because clearly… since they brought this disaster on themselves, they can’t be trusted with the technological heights of flint and twine.

Also I would expect that all of the 'appliances' that have been infected by the green goo are just 'more' of what they were originally used for. Tiny elephant vacuum cleaner has now become a ravenous, cyclone-generating monstrosity. The rabbit whose ears were the TV's antennae is now an electrified gremlin that might be broadcasting signals from outer space.

Shamans are unionized in my world, so they might be having a humdinger of a "membership drive."

also places of magic. mine is based on north america, so mount rushmore has been replaced by "the great slate, a magical rock that's the patron of order. Also the Great serpent mound is another place of magic that will be corrupted by the experience.

K’ZOOLU!

A bipedal giant being with a cephalopod-like head. Each tentacle is tipped with a bony, hollow thorn, from which its voice emanates like 1000 vuvuzelas!

Truly maddening!
and now you've peaked my curiosity.

I apologize in advance.

Which one?

another idea from another forum
Dying mammoths won't return to their ancestral graveyard any more. They wander erratically, sometimes into Gneiss City, until they fall where they stand. The boneyard has been claimed by something strange and many-legged that puppeteers the bones of those ancient dead beasts.
I think it's safe to assume the order of the water buffalo just became my version of the enclave, but before they were more party animals, then villains.

Attachments

• K’ZOOLU!.png
    K’ZOOLU!.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 20

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A thought occurred to me:

The corrupting slime could mutate Troglodytes, Kobolds, Lizardmen or other sentient reptilians near The Great Depression into Altrusans/Sleestaks:

Remove ads