• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me build 4 Warforged monk types

I'm starting a new campaign soon, and the BBEG has four Monk (or Monk-ish) companions who are all Warforged.
Anyone interested in building me a few? The basic theme is that two of the monks are ice-themed, and two are fire-themed.

Any takers?

The characters would each be Level 12, with a full NPC value in magic items.

They don't have to be straight monks, feel free to cross-class or go Prestige. Just stick to WotC books, please.

Runestar

First Post
Fire theme - swordsage specializing in desert wind maneuvers, with tiger claw for mobility and stone dragon for defense?

No idea for cold theme though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
First: See http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=221182

Note that there are Monk variant classes that can multiclass with spellcasting or manifesting classes

Monk (FR p25) Dark Moon- multiclassing w/Sorc, Monk & Sorc must be within 2 lvls of each other

Monk (FR p25) Old Order- multiclassing w/Roc, Sorc, Shadowdancer (Monk lvls> all other lvls)

Monk (FR p25) Shining Hand- multiclassing w/Wiz ( Monk Lvls ? Wiz lvls)

Monk (FR p25, Champions of Valor p34 CoS: Waterdeep p41) Sun Soul - multiclassing w/one other class as long as Monk lvls highest

And also take note of the Shaman class from OA. James Wyatt-the guy who wrote that book- did a 3.5Ed update of OA in Dragon#318. In it, the Shaman gets the improving unarmed strike damage of the Monk, but not the "natural or manufactured" weapon language. A divine-spell slinging "monk" could be a nice twist, and that would let you get access to certain fire and cold spells too.

For giggles, if you do use a spellcasting monk, you might also consider using one of the reserve feats so he can keep on tossing fire or frost...

Second:

Monk//PsiWar//Kineticist; Monk//Psion//Kineticist; Monk//Soulknife//Kineticist; Monk//Kineticist (using Wild Talent Feat)- There are Pyro and Cryo versions of the Kineticist PrCl.

or

Monk//??//Kensai- use Unarmed Strike as the chosen weapon, taking Flaming or Frost properties as the first enchantments to them.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you do multiclass them with Sorcerer, you can take the Draconic Heritage & Breath Weapon feats, taking appropriate cold or fire weapons.

In the Planar Handbook, there is the Elemental Warrior PrCl, it may give you what you want.

freebiewitz

First Post
Warforged hey? I think at least one of you should go as a warforged druid then, I know it sounds dumb BUT! Have everyone of the monks to go with the basic wooden frame, no armor whatso ever, then when the druid levels up enough get him to cast ironwood on everyone.

If you want to keep in completly monk then I would say you should at least multiclass druid for mending, touch flame and so on, usless yes but roleplaying wise makes sense.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's not a bad idea, and for the record, the OA Shaman may be capable of casting the same or similar spell. (I don't have my books handy, so I could be in error.)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
How do you feel about Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords? You could easily build a fire-themed Swordsage.

Barbarian / Swordsage -> Frostrager seems easier than Barbarian / Monk, too.

Cheers, -- N

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Barbarian / Swordsage -> Frostrager seems easier than Barbarian / Monk, too.

While I personally dislike ToB, even I have to admit that is easier...especially considering alignment conflicts (yes, I do know how to make a Brb/Monk, nonetheless).

Another option someone might want to check out: the Dragon Descendant (Monk PrCl from Dragon Magic) as well. I don't recall its exact details, but it may be the most direct route.

Heck, if each of the PCs took a level or 2 of Psion or PsyWar to start off, then took Monk (or one of the variant Monks with more open multiclassing), getting the desired elemental theme would be a piece of cake.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads