• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me build a Dwarf Monk

Clumsy Bob

First Post
HI all,

I am looking for some ideas for a dwarf monk (you know that already from the title)
I am aiming for a grappling/bull rushing/disarming type of fellow, however these feats (mostly) are covered by the monk class.
I am looking for ideas on other feats and possible magic items to use, heck even any decent prestige classes out there.
No stats as yet but should be 9th level with appropriate gold.
The whole grappling-special combat rules are new to me so any suggestions there would be appreciated, and finally :D are there any known monastic orders for dwarves in the forgotten realms?

Cheers
Bob

Particle_Man

Explorer
Clumsy Bob said:
HI all,

I am looking for some ideas for a dwarf monk (you know that already from the title)
I am aiming for a grappling/bull rushing/disarming type of fellow, however these feats (mostly) are covered by the monk class.
I am looking for ideas on other feats and possible magic items to use, heck even any decent prestige classes out there.
No stats as yet but should be 9th level with appropriate gold.
The whole grappling-special combat rules are new to me so any suggestions there would be appreciated, and finally :D are there any known monastic orders for dwarves in the forgotten realms?

Cheers
Bob

If this is 3.0, a must-have feat is Leadership. Get a NG druid cohort to cast barkskin and magic fang on you (the blessed version).

If this is 3.5, you have a lot of options. I'd say the spring attack chain is a good way to go, with the monk's movement rate (even the dwarf version is not that slow at high levels).

If you have a high INT, you might consider a monk/duelist.

Cleave and Great Cleave is always very useful if you can dish out much damage.
I wouldn`t suggest the Spring Attack route - don´t forget you can`t flurry with it, and one of your best advantages, many attacks, is lost.

I am not sure what feats exactly you want to get, but remember: Disarm is not very useful because you are using a light weapon, and have a medium base attack bonus. Even Improved Disarm can`t compensate for all of it. (and if you don`t take it as bonus feat, you would need a high Int to get Combat Expertise)
(and the fact that you end up having the enemies weapon in your hand doesn`t help you much, especialy if you are not profiecient with them.)

You might consider Improved Sunder, if you can somehow enhance your unarmed attacks (Bracers of Striking, Magic Weapon or Fang) (you can sunder with monk attacks, since you deal lethal, bludgeoning damage. And your damage is nothing to sneeze at)

Improved Trip in 3.5 version is great. You basically get (if you succed) 2 extra attacks at +4 for losing one attack (which is only a touch attack). And if you have some allies in melee, it becomes worse (for the opponent.) If you have many archers, it might not be so great (the +4 changes to -4)

Improved Grapple might still be the best choice (well, not against larger creatures or even dragons, but against most average enemies), and you might be able to disarm most opponents in the process (if their weapon is to large to wield in grapple, they will probably lose it). If you worry about being grappled, consider Escape Artist.

For magic items:
Gloves of Fearsome Grip (where in Sword and Fist) are great for grappling (+5 bonus to rolls).
Bracers of Armor are good, as are Bracers of Striking.

Mustrum Ridcully

Darklone

Have a look at the Immovability, Ram, Instant Stand, Stonebones and Sprint feats from the KPG. Some guy used some of them some weeks ago to build a dwarven bowling ball. Then go the Improved Trip feat chain.

Improved Disarm is nice if you stunned your opponent with Stunning fist. Flurry, first attack stun, second trip, extra trip attack disarm...

I would neglect Dexterity. Go for high Constitution, Wisdom and Strenght. Rely on magic boost for AC and concentrate on dishing out damage instead of trying to dodge everything.

Last edited:

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
There's a dwarf-only feat somewhere called Hammerfist or something that allows you to apply 1.5 Str damage to your unarmed attacks. As for PrCs, there's a shnifty one called Brawler from Sorcery+Steam. As I recall, it gets kip-up, the ability to fight to -10 HP, and Eyes of the Champion, a Ex gaze attack that makes you Will save or be shaken. Also very good at feinting.

Fingers Boggis

First Post
i dont see a dwarven monk as being the type to flip around and tumble myself, i see them more as being an imovable object (i know this is weird considering one of the monks main benefits is a higher rate of movement) sure use ur high rate of movement to get into possition but then i see him being quite content to let the opposition come to him and react to them, id probably go for grappling and throwing techniques that would take advantage of the dwarfs low centre of gravity (no in game rules for this afaik but you can see it being a natural technique for him to develop) with OA this becomes quite easy to do with feats such as defensive strike, defensive throw, perhaps grappling block, really any grappling feats you can get your hands on (no pun intended) for your monk options id probably go improved gapple, combat reflexes and then improved trip. Id then finish off this kind of character by going for the dwarven defender PrC which is the first time ive really considered it for a character, infact thanks for the idea i think my next character is going to take this form

Ftr 4/Mnk 10/Dwarven Defender 6

i know the fighter levels are cheap but i need the feats to qualify for the PrC and get the grappling feats i want, i also wouldnt take the levels in that order. mix the fighter and monk levels up a bit and go for dwarven defender as soon as i qualify, 6 levels gives you 3/- DR which is not to be sneezed at, every little helps and eventually you are going to be hit, and improved uncanny dodge, a nice +2 dodge bonus to go with your monk boni (pl of bonus?) i reckon this is going to be quite a nice character

Fingers Boggis

First Post
ok so i was sat doing my physics work (i hate special relativity) and i was thinking about this a bit more and i changed my mind id now probably go as follows (this really isnt getting any work done but hey)

Lev 1: Mnk1-dodge and improved grapple
Lev 2: Mnk2-combat reflexes
Lev 3: Ftr1-Expertise and toughness
Lev 4: Mnk3- i went +1 str but it would depend on your stats
Lev 5: Mnk4
Lev 6: Mnk5-the feat of your choice (i went karmic strike from OA)
Lev 7: Mnk6-Improved trip
Lev 8: Ftr2- i went +1 con this time and again the feat of your choice (i went defensive throw, again OA)
Lev 9: Mnk7- feat of your choice (id go power attack or embrace of earth)
Lev 10: Dwarven Defender

from this point id alternate monk and dwarven defender until you get to mnk 13 and SR from then id go solely dwarven defender, at 20th level (i dont have epic handbook, nor do i like the idea of epic levels) this gives Ftr2/Mnk13/dwarven defender5 which is a shame because i really wanted to have 6 defender levels, i guess ill change my mind again and drop the second fighter level and then get the martial arts feats later and qualify for the PrC a level later

if anyone can poke holes in this build id be interested because id quite like to run with it (or rather stand stoically with it whilst everyone else runs) if ive got anyhting wrong please point it out, also theres a feat mentioned in teh table in OA called great throw that isnt in the feat descriptions as far as i can see, if anyone can point me to a source id be greatful

Fingers

Philip

Explorer
Fingers Boggis said:
Lev 1: Mnk1-dodge and improved grapple
Lev 2: Mnk2-combat reflexes
Lev 3: Ftr1-Expertise and toughness
Lev 4: Mnk3- i went +1 str but it would depend on your stats

I am afraid this doesn't work. You can't multiclass out of and back into monk. Once an ex-monk, always an ex-monk.

Fingers Boggis

First Post
my DM uses OA monk rules, otherwise id agree with you, if that wasnt the case (and i know with many campaigns it isnt) id just take the fighter level first and hope i didnt die due to lack of armour

RigaMortus

Explorer
Darklone said:
Improved Disarm is nice if you stunned your opponent with Stunning fist. Flurry, first attack stun, second trip, extra trip attack disarm...

Why is Improved Disarm nice with stunning fist? Don't you drop your weapon anyway when you are stunned?

Last edited:

Remove ads