• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

help me build a monk/rogue FAST

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I am building a Human Monk/Rogue of 10 levels for a one-shot (maybe a more shot, who knows) and I am trying to min/max the hell out of it.

Ability scores aside, I am looking to pump Use Magic Device as high as possible.

I am also looking to put out a lot of attacks/round, hopefully with the TWF and/or the Rapid Shot feats.

I say FAST because I am expected to play in, oh, 10 hours or so. :uhoh:

Can anyone build a lean, mean, Monk/Rogue machine using 3.5 core rules only?

Last edited:

gabrion

First Post
Herobizkit said:
I am building a Human Monk/Rogue of 10 levels for a one-shot (maybe a more shot, who knows) and I am trying to min/max the hell out of it.

Do you have the option of not being a monk/rogue? I find it pretty difficult to min/max that particular combo, especiall without access to any non core books. Are you locked into it?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
No, I'm not locked into it. :) I don't know what rules my DM is allowing so I have to assume core rules only.

I wanted to do a monk/rogue with the assumption that TWF and Flurry stack, as well as Rapid Shot and Flurry (using shuriken).

I wanted to do a "catch-all" character type without being a Fighter/Rogue, as I have played one before and want to try something different.

Anax

First Post
Let’s see. I’d say Rogue 5/Monk 5. Human is about the only reasonable choice, here. (A halfling might work, but I don’t think you can afford to lose the bonus feat.) Strength no more than 10. Dexterity, Wisdom, and Charisma are the best bets for stats. (Charisma for UMD, Wisdom for Stunning Fist and AC, Dexterity for attack bonus and AC.) After those three stats, Intelligence and Constitution. Strength is really pretty much the last thing you care about.

Take Stunning Fist as your first level bonus feat—this will come in handy to get sneak attacks during combat without flanking (when it works.) At second level, it’s kind of a toss-up between combat reflexes and deflect arrows. Combat Reflexes if you’ve pumped your Dex higher than your Wis might be a good choice. Deflect Arrows if you’re more worried about ranged attacks.

Five levels of rogue will get you +3d6 sneak attack, which has some pretty studly potential for mean-ness. You mentioned both TWF and Rapid Shot before. Hmm.

For feats, at level 1: Two-Weapon Fighting and Point-Blank Shot. At level 3, Weapon Finesse. At level 6, Rapid Shot. At level 9, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, perhaps? I’d personally be inclined to not take PBS and RS, just because sneak attacks at range can be pretty hard to come by. On the other hand, +3d6 sneak attacks from range at -3/-3/-3/-8 isn’t to sneeze at. Still, if you instead went for Weapon Focus (unarmed strike), and took the ITWF, you’d be at -2/-2/-7/-7 for melee sneak attacks (after adding in the +1 for weapon focus.) And that leaves a feat free for something like Skill Focus (Use Magic Device).

Anyway, good luck.

gabrion

First Post
One thing that might be interesting with this concept is a grappler. Like I said, I don't particularly like the idea, but just for fun what about...

Monk 1/Rogue 9

Take improved grapple at first level and pump up your strength as high as possible and try to play a large race if at all possible (I know you said Core only, but just a suggestion). Use a monks belt to up your attack bonuses while you are flurrying. The end result is that when you grapple someone you will being able to make your standard number of iterative attacks, all with an extra 5d6 sneak attack damage. I just thought that sounded like fun.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Thanks for the suggestions, all. I decided on a Halfling Rogue 4/Monk 6.

I used the newest (?) version of eTools to create him, and boy, am I pleased with the result. I turned him into a TWF/ITWF using a pair of sai, and I took the Improved Disarm feat. Since a monk can flurry with the sai, I get 3 attacks with my flurry plus two more with my off-hand... which means 5 chances to disarm an opponent when taking the full attack option. Hee hee hee.

Luthien Greyspear

First Post
Crothian said:
is there a monk/rogue feat in complete adventurer? that actually might help

Yep, Ascetic Rogue. It's on page 106, and adds 2 to the DC's of all sneak attack stun attempts, and rogue and monk class levels stack for unarmed damage. As an 'ascetic' feat, you can freely multi-class between rogue and monk, too.

gabrion

First Post
Luthien Greyspear said:
Yep, Ascetic Rogue. It's on page 106, and adds 2 to the DC's of all sneak attack stun attempts, and rogue and monk class levels stack for unarmed damage. As an 'ascetic' feat, you can freely multi-class between rogue and monk, too.

Ya, and too bad about that whole "text trumps table" thing, or every monk would start with one level of rogue. :)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Just a follow-up to my pervious post.

I played my first session with my Monk/Rogue. I have fallen in love with the character combination.

My little halfling (with the help of Boots of Striding and Springing) has a move of 40. He does a whole 1d6+4 points of damage (Str 17 - was 13 + 2 for levels + 2 for Gauntlets of Ogre Power) but gets three attacks at 12/12/7. His saves are wonderful; stacking the Rogue's Reflex with the Monk's and my high Dex nets me a +12 Reflex save... couple that with Evasion and I'm good to charge ahead, past or through opponents, and get right to any spellcasters in the rear ranks... then double back and sneak attacks the warriors!

Some time this week I am going to post him in the Rogue's Gallery, just because I'm so proud of my min/max'd character. *G*

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads