D&D 3E/3.5 Help me build this character in 3.5

Chronologist

First Post
Mystic Ranger and Wilderness Rogue give you the skill requirements and match the concept. They don't have much in the way of healing (aside from some from the ranger IIRC).

Archivist is another solid class choice, but you seem to dislike frail characters.

Though the class is rife with problems, the Truenamer is an excellent buffer/healer with some other interesting options, with the skills you want and it fits the idea of a wise old man who has seen the world and knows many things. You'll probably have to talk to your DM about using a fix online for the class (or just maximizing your Truespeech skill as early as possible), but the class has some of the most rewarding flavor in all of 3.5.

S

shurai

Quick update: Here are the stats I rolled: 18, 14, 13, 12, 12, 11

I'm working on a pure Cloistered Cleric build presently. So much to grind through! I sure wish I had Pathfinder's skill rules. : /

S

shurai

Build #1 - Cloistered Cleric 4

So for this build, I managed to get the broad skill accumulation I wanted, but Able Learner seems to have been wasted -- I mean, a whole feat to save a few skill points? I was able to get most of the skills I wanted with domains, thanks to various suggestions people made.

Code:
Build #1 - Cloistered Cleric 4
    Old-aged, Human, Neutral Good
    Cloistered Cleric dedicated to the ideal of altruism (ie no deity)
    Abilities:  
            roll age lv4 final
            ---- --- --- -----
        Str  11  -3       8
        Dex  13  -3      10
        Con  14  -3  +1  12
        Int  12  +2      14
        Wis  18  +2      20
        Cha  12  +2      14
    Class Abilities
        Domains:  Knowledge, Pact (Complete Divine), Charm (Unearthed Arcana)
        Lore:  As Bardic Knowledge
        Spells:  As Cleric
    Skills
        (base 6 + human 1 + Int 2) * (base 3 + lvl 4) = 63 skill points
        max ranks = 3 + lvl = 7
        class skills provided by Cleric (22 skill points)
            5 Heal
            7 Diplomacy
            5 Concentration
            5 Spellcraft
        class skills provided by Cloistered Cleric (38 skill points)
            1 Appraise (via Pact Domain)
            6 Sense Motive (via Pact Domain)
            2 Decipher Script
            4 Knowledge (Geography)
            5 Knowledge (History)
            5 Knowledge (Local)
            3 Knowledge (Nature)
            3 Knowledge (Arcana)
            3 Knowledge (Religion)
            3 Knowledge (The planes)
            1 Knowledge (Architecture and engineering)
            1 Knowledge (Dungeoneering)
            1 Knowledge (Nobility and royalty)
        Able Learner class skills (3 skill points)
            3 Gather Information
    Feats
        Human Bonus - Able Learner
        Level 1 - ?
        Level 3 - ?

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Have you looked at Church Inquisitor in C.Divine? I mentioned it before. You would have to be LG or LN instead of NG, but otherwise it has very early entry and would further help flesh out your concept with Sense Motive (so you won't need Pact Domain) and eventually the ability to literally see through illusions. In general, they make great "sleuths."

S

shurai

Have you looked at Church Inquisitor in C.Divine? I mentioned it before.

I must say I haven't, but it's now in the queue. Thanks for the suggestion! Though now I'm apparently at least two weeks out from actually playing, and that's not even certain because my work schedule could interfere. This is starting to slip to the back burner.

marcielle

First Post
Note, that you can use aging to your advantage, you can trade a -1 to 3 in all phys scores for a +1 to 3 in all mental. Aging isn't just for pun -pun. Just get Zen Archery and your old man traded 1-2 health per level for +3 in all mental scores. Or if you don't plan on fighting much, you don't even need that.

S

shurai

Ack! I just realized I mislabelled his age category; it says middle-aged but it should be old. I'll fix that presently.

I'm not sure I could accept a Con penalty to Fort saves, hit points, and Concentration checks, so that rules out the Venerable age category, Middle-aged isn't a good choice because in my concept he's older than his early 50s; in fact I'd put him at early to mid 60s. So, he's Old; it strikes a good balance.

Remove ads