D&D 5E Help me find elemental cleric spells especially level 6-9

Coroc

Hero
The next campaign I plan, will be Darksun using my own conversion rules.

I am normally quite inventive, but here is a bit of a "dilemma" I ran into:

I will rule that normal clerical magic, for the four types of elemental clerics (with some exceptions like e.g. create water) , will work up to 5th level. Also there should be some "domain" spells, with the appropriate element e.g. the fire cleric getting firebolt cantrip instead of sacred flame.

For 6th - 9th level I only want to allow elemental specific spells.

E.g. the fire cleric and earth cleric would get meteor swarm, the air and water clerics would get storm of vengeance.

As you see, I want to use existing stuff as far as possible, by reusing wizard spells e.g..
Still I miss a bit of a selection for the higher levels 6-9.

So please give me some suggestions, I will allow elemental spells of lower level to be upcast, e.g. air cleric should be able to cast lightning bolt at 8th level, but is that sufficient?

Please make some suggestions on how to resolve this, utility and protective spells, which can be keyed to an element are fine also of course.

Storm of Vengeance sucks. Dont punish your players.

Create a new air-water spell, maybe like Meteor Swarm but instead, it inflicts cold damage and freezes hostiles in blocks of ice (restrained) or pushes them around by winds, while they take cold damage.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The lack of elemental spell options at all levels is kind of a glaring problem tbh. However, there are at least a few of them to work with.

At level 6, you have the Investiture line of spells, one for each main element, and also Primordial Ward which defends against most elements.

Then you have:
6th level,
Bones of the Earth / Move Earth / Flesh to Stone
Chain Lightning / Wind Walk
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere / Wall of Ice
Sunbeam with fire damage maybe.

7th level,
Whirlwind
Delayed Blast Fireball / Fire Storm
Reverse Gravity maybe.

8th level,
Abi-Dalzim’s Horrid Wilting (it can work)
Control Weather
Earthquake
Incendiary Cloud
Tsunami

9th level.
Well there isn't anything that you haven't listed yet.

in my DS5e campaign, I ruled that all clerical spells that inflict Radiant or Necrotic damage, would instead inflict a type of damage related to one of the elements. Their names would be refluffed accordingly.

fire = fire
water = cold
air = lighting
earth = acid

and some spells where only available to a specific element (like, Fire Storm only for fire clerics).

I tend to lean toward

earth-fire
• fire (plasma) ≈ fire, radiant, lightning
• earth (solid) ≈ metal/crystal bludgeon/slash/pierce

air-water
• water (liquid) ≈ cold
• air (gas) ≈ thunder

ether
• ether (force) ≈ force

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Looking at a few spells for the elements for 6th level+, I can find the following at a quick search through dndbeyond (looking up keywords for stone, fire earth, etc). I've added meteor storm and storm of vengeance to the elements you've already mentioned. Some of the spells I added as part of an elemental wizard school that I looked at ages ago so imprisonment becomes an earth spell, trapping someone below the earth.

Air
6th: chain lightning, investiture of wind, wind walk​
7th: whirlwind​
8th: control weather​
9th: storm of vengeance​
Earth
6th: bones of the earth, flesh to stone, investiture of stone, move earth,​
8th: earthquake,​
9th: imprisonment, meteor storm​
Fire
6th: Investiture of fire, sunbeam​
7th: delayed blast fireball, fire storm​
8th: incendiary cloud, sunburst​
9th: meteor storm​
Water:
6th: Investiture of ice, otiluke's freezing sphere, wall of ice​
8th: abi-dalzim's horrid wilting​
9th: storm of vengeance​
Not surprisingly, fire has a fair few but air does as well. Who knows what we will end up with once Tasha's releases, it might come out with a few more spells for you to fill in the gaps. Otherwise, if you have access to the old 2e spell compendiums and are up for homebrewing, I'd say there are few elemental spells you could add to the list.

Coroc

Hero
I like the idea of @Delazar best so far, I will use it for sacred flame (frost acid spark) cantrip or inflict wounds (inflict fire / frost / acid / electric damage)
But it also would make sense with spiritual weapon, just make the weapon deal elemental damage, spirit guardians will become elemental guardians,
and guardian of faith will be some elemental spirit.

Of course adding domain spells would also be nice like burning hands / fireball /lightning bolt. I'd rather prefer to make the normally wizard or druid stuff into domain spells, and reskin the cleric spells, so the cleric still feels like a cleric. E.g. Harm could do elemental damage also.

I'm glad you like it!

I did a similar thing for the Paladin, I changed every instance of the word Radiant/Necrotic to Psychic, refluffed the Class Features, and called it "Psychic Warrior".

Worked like a charm.

Remove ads