• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me freak out my players!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm (finally) sending a group of my players' characters into a haunted abbey (it's a pbp game, so yeah, I've been working on this for a while). While I don't want this to be so dangerous as to wipe everyone out (they're all level 1-2), I want to scare the crap out of them.

Any suggestions on truly horrifying haunted environments? I'm using the haunting rules from Libris Mortis and last year's Dragon issue that talked about haunted houses (particularly for fun with visions of The Incident that turned this abbey into Hell on Earth), but am eager for more ways to give my players long-term psychiatric problems ...

JonMonster

First Post
Children. The creepier the better. They are supposed to be these innocent, naive and trusting creatures. So the contrast that arises from turning them into vicious beady eyed little things that want to strip off your skin and suck the marrow from your bones, and are cunning enough to get away with it? Now that is some serious creepy.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Stuffies. Stuffies, for those who don't know (which would probably be most of you, because I picked it up on a random thread on the WoTC board) are animated skeletons of Tiny creatures, like monkeys and lizards, sewn into teddy bears. Treat them like they're just wearing padded armor or some such. And enjoy.

Demiurge out.

Bagpuss

Legend
Occasionally ask for listen or spot. Then if they roll really high say things like

"You feel like you are being watched."
"The hairs on the back of your arms stand on air a draft goes through the corridor."
"You hear a door creaking." (one they are sure they closed before)

Oooh combine the two ideas above and have a ghost child necromancer that's making the Stuffies. While she could be really high CR, she doesn't deliberately mean the PC's harm she just "wants to play with them". So she uses stuff like ghost sound (so don't have illusion as a banned school), and image spells to play tricks on them. While creating minor undead to toy with the PCs. She could be an orphan (assume the abby had an orphanage), that somehow died tragically.

I suggest perhaps renting "The Devil's Backbone", a spanish ghost story, involving a child that was drowned in the laundry pool in an orphanage.

Unfortunately at level 1-2 you can't be too much real horror without a TPK, you'ld have a hard job working in demons and the like IMHO.

Last edited:

Whisper72

Explorer
Horror is all about 'feeling' and what the _players_ think. Have there be a ghost whose attacks on the PC's are non-lethal (some temporary con- or str-drain, paralysis, stunning etc.) which cannot be harmed by normal weapons (assuming the PC's do not have magical weapons yet at Lvls 1 and 2). This means that the PC's HAVE to avoid the ghost, but when caught, no real harm is done.

As suggested above, plenty of listen and sense checks, strange noises. also, plenty of unexplainede and unexplainable stuff:
- all torches die out within three minutes
- unnatural cold
- footsteps appear randomly in the dust on the ground
- sound of chains dragging
- mutilated bodies of ppl known to have entered the abbey recently
- a room with blood EVERYWHERE (ceilings, walls etc.)
- voices entering their minds telling them to go away (distracting and giving penalties to concentration, to hit etc.)
- furniture that shifts from position in rooms the PC's have been in before (i.e. when tehy return, the room has been rearranged)
- certain things are still seemingly 'like the day the abbey was open for business', but different. Maybe the messhall is still 'dressed up' with food and everything. Should the PC's check the stew however, an eyeball pops up. When looking closer at the food, the 'sausages' turn out to be entrails etc.
- Some of the bedrooms are very neat and fresh, where a clock (maybe an hourglass) is still running as though very recently turned, other rooms are the sign of struggle, the sheets all torn and blood everywhere. On the wall, in blood, a message has been painted warning everyone off
- find a diary where the last pages describe some horror striking the abbey, killing the inhabitants one by one, it started with a mysterious stranger asking for shelter/sanctuary and afterwards ppl ended up dead, horribly mutilated
- ghostly animal (dog?) following the party continuously, it is looking for a new 'owner' or is simply lonely, and likes to be close to the party. No efforts to turn it or drive it off seem to work.

awayfarer

First Post
Try things that are inconcgruous. If the PC's are in a place thats been abandoned for a while, have a dining room thats all set out for dinner. The foods fresh and the candles have only appear new.

At some point, every door in the abbey opens all at once. When a PC heads for a door -whether to investigate it or to leave a room-the door slams in their face. The sounds of slamming doors resonate throughout the abbey. Actually, if you have the doors slam shut on them, it might be nice to wait until they're in a dead-end room.

Someone notices blood slowly dripping from the cieling. After a few seconds, the blood starts dripping back up.

I got Heroes of Horror last year and if you're really interested in that type of campaign it's a pretty cool book. Theres actually a good sized list of nifty stuff in there. Stuff like having a character bite into a piece of fruit only to realize the seeds in it are actually human teeth.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Heroes of Horror has some good horror guidelines.

As a long-time WoD Storyteller, the most effective tactic I've used is "don't show everything." Strange noises the PCs hear, but they can't tell what caused them. Glimpses of things, just a shadow crossing a doorway for example. Hint at the horrible and terrifying, but don't SHOW it until it's ready to rip the PCs faces off.

Seemingly innocent things possessed by great evil work too. Demon-possessed children, ghosts inhabiting stray dogs or a housecat.

Use metaphor and omens, too. A murder of crows hanging around outside of a window can work wonders. Especially if they're staring directly at the PCs, making no noise whatsoever with a malicious intelligence in their eyes.

Darkness is good. Make sure to describe it not just in the visual way. Muffled noises, trouble breathing and a general sense of being lost even though they know where they are. Lots of people feel claustrophobic in the dark, even in areas they know are wide open spaces. Play up on this. So what if the PCs have light cast? The darkness is so "thick" that it seels to swallow up that light, and, just on the edge of that safety zone, where the PCs can't see, something shambles. Remember that fear of darkness is a very primal thing, use it. Light is a comfort zone, invade that comfort zone and lessen it.

Use threats. The threat of demonic possession or of a painful, slow death can be far more effective than the acts themselves.

One of your best tools will be description. Describe the thick layers of dust, the darkness, the shadow in the doorway, the noises, the cobwebs...even if it seems like a cliche', it's going to work. And don't shy away from gore; as long as it's not completely overdone a gory scene can work wonders. Also, practice the art of under-describing. There are times when you should leave blanks that the players' imaginations are going to fill in and their thoughts will often be worse than anything you can come up with (yes, I know this seems like contradictory advice, but the trick is knowing when to describe and when to under-describe).

Alienation, paranoia and loneliness work wonders too. Split the party up somehow. Breed paranoia and distrust between the characters. Trust in one's allies is a safety net..remove that safety net (or at least lessen it to a degree). Take the characters (and, to some extent, the players) out of their comfort zone.

If you're gaming face-to-face (I know, you're not, but just in case you ever do), lower your voice volume by a bit and deepen it subtly. If the players have to strain just enough to hear you, it can build tension.

Try to utilize at least three senses when describing a scene (this is usually a good rule of thumb IMHO for any scene, not just horror ones). Sight and sound are obvious ones, but what about the prickly feeling as the hairs raise on the back of the PCs necks, or the smell of something undescribable lingering in the air which leaves a bad taste in the characters' mouths. If you want to combine some of the info above, try NOT describing with visual cues; describe how the area smells, feels or tastes and let the players fill in the visual details on their own.

Remember that hope is one of the greatest tools of those in situations of great fear. Use that to your advantage. Let them think they're safe, only to have that safety and hope torn away from them at the last minute.

Completely separate the horrific situation from the mundane situations. This creates a great contrast. Make everything seem happier and brighter when not in the situation, then when they get themselves where you want to start sending shivers down their spine, make sure they're in a completely different situation; things get darker and more ominous and they should feel like they're cut off from the bright, shiny, happy world. All they have to rely on is each other, and really...can they still trust the person next to them?

Hopefully these suggestions help.

EDIT: One thing I forgot. Humor. If the players start trying to inject some humor into the situation, you're doing things right. Why? Because they feel tense and are trying to release that tension. You want this in a horror situation.

merelycompetent

First Post
Depending on your players and gaming style:

Have the players roll 6 or 8 d20's before the session start. Explain that these are skill checks and saves for events that may unfold. Get their listen, spot, search, and saving throw modifiers (spreadsheets are great for this). Now, when you want a Listen, Spot, or Search for some creepy effect, you don't have to spoil the mood by having them roll dice.

Prepare cards/envelopes ahead of time, containing descriptions of various creepy effects that only that particular PC can see - like the green, soupy mist that forms hands and tugs at the PC's armor as it flows past. Another good one is the phantom monster that only one PC can see and battle.

Creepy-crawlies. The ceiling overhead/floor underneath the PC gives way, dropping masses of centipedes, spiders, or other harmless bugs onto the hapless character. Describe in detail how they get under the armor/clothing and crawl around. Also serves as good foreshadowing for running into their larger cousins...

Turn down the lighting in the game room.

Arranging it so that the game occurs during a thunderstorm is good also.

Background music from one of those haunted house CDs popular around Halloween works well, too. Play it in another room, turned down low so that it is discernable above the background noise, but doesn't interfere with people speaking.

Hope this helps!

Raven Crowking

First Post
Hey there, Whizbang. I'm sure that your game will go well, and there has been some great advice in this thread already. I wouldn't use the pre-rolls merelycompetent suggests if it were a live game, personally. I'd rather that the PCs were asked to roll. Rolls add tension to rpg sessions. Of course, in a pbp, "rolling" is a distraction.

I bookmarked this thread (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=146264) as a pretty useful resource. Hopefully, it has some ideas that can be of use.

RC

Rackhir

Explorer
Visually, the movie Silent Hill (based on the Video game/DVD due out tuesday 8/22) has some really terrific stuff. One of the best bits in the movie which expands on something from the video game is you hear a church bell ringing and a few minutes/moments later everything starts decaying and rotting, rusting and being covered with blood.

A good trick from most horror movies and Star Trek is to have a couple of "Red Shirts" along. IE, some NPCs who are there basically to die horribly to show the PCs what the menace/threat/how horrible things is/are.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads