Help me kill Darmanicus & Friends!

shilsen

Adventurer
Morrus said:
They'll make it. There are two non-mechanic things they can leverage ...

Overall, I think the odds are about even, although they certainly sound worse!

Here's a question - assuming that the PCs don't take advantage of either of the two things you mention or that they try to do so and fail, are you prepared to TPK them? Just curious.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Well the players certainly aren't confident on their end. They seem to have disliked those Soulknives I built, and they say that everyone on this thread is "going on their lists."

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I've got a question - how do you handle initiative and a magic circle against evil? It certainly sounds like the not-actually-an-instant someone leaves it, dominating spells come in to full effect. Does this mean that the only way to move while remaining within one is very slowly (ie - from edge to edge of the circle), or on the same initiative count?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Saeviomagy said:
I've got a question - how do you handle initiative and a magic circle against evil? It certainly sounds like the not-actually-an-instant someone leaves it, dominating spells come in to full effect. Does this mean that the only way to move while remaining within one is very slowly (ie - from edge to edge of the circle), or on the same initiative count?

I don't understand the question, I'm afraid!

Len

Prodigal Member
Morrus said:
I don't understand the question, I'm afraid!
I think he means this: Suppose a paladin casts magic circle against evil on himself. Suppose that two other PCs stand next to the paladin so they're inside the magic circle. Suppose they all want to move across the room. How does that work?

Like this, I think: On the paladin's turn, he moves 20 feet. The other two PCs are now outside the magic circle, because it's centred on the paladin, and they no longer have protection vs. evil bad guys. The magic circle was protecting the archer against the "ongoing control over the subject, such as dominate person" [SRD], so when the paladin moves the archer falls under domination again. As you described.

In order for all the PCs to stay protected vs. evil, they have to shuffle slowly across the room as a group so that they're always close together.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Easy. They hold actions, make sure their movement is timed together. The archer doesn't run off ahead of the paladin - if the paladin hasn't reacted quickly enough, the archer has to wait until the paladin gets himself together (reaches his initiative) and move when the paladin moves. Similarly, the paladin shouldn't move off until the archer is ready.

BSF

Explorer
The players seem to be reeling a little from the beginning of this combat. The soulknives definitely have them worried, as well they should be. The biggest problem I see right now is that they might be starting to forget some of their capabilities. In this situation, Morrus seems to be counting on them to be on top of their game. It's possible that one or two poor decisions could swing this in a bad way.

Morrus, it looks like you have done a great job so far and it sounds like everyone is having fun. Even if the players aren't so sure they will pull through, they seem to be enjoying the challenge. In al likelihood they will get over the doom and gloom through the week and start coming up with plans to pull this thing out in their favor. But they might also get stuck in a bad rut with their thought processes. It's something to keep in mind.

I believe the cleric said he had a feat that lets him use a turning to swap out a prepared spell for something on a domain list? And he has the Healing domain? If so, the PCs should be able to address the ability damage. Well, so long as the cleric's Wisdom doesn't drop too low to cast anything. The PCs aren't done for by any stretch of the imagination. But they could blow it if they get panicky.

saethone

First Post
its lookin close so far

and from reading the other thread, it doesn't seem like the PCs are taking notice to the throne at all :| even with the arcane eyes

smkun

First Post
Ouch...

That was a good read. I think the players are in a bit of a panic mode though. If it does turn really bad would the Lich Quean really want them dead? I get the impression she'd much rather take them prisoner and make them suffer for a long time :]

Remove ads