• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Help me make a Master of Minor Magic

EroGaki

First Post
32 cantrips is only 3 less than all 35 of them. So the question you have to ask is just which 3 cantrips do you not want.

Mechanically, consider starting with fighter or sorcerer for the Con saves. You can decide amongst them based on whether you want the heavy armor, and extra hit points of the fighter, or you want the Charisma save of the sorcerer. Sorcerer actually seems like a cooler starting concept for a master of magics to me, but most people will tell you the fighter is mechanically superior. Go with what you like.

I recommend 1 level of sorcerer, 3-4 levels of warlock (the versatility will be great, since you aren't going to have much vertical power from any class), and 1 level of whatever.

Pact of the Tome will make sure you can start with the cantrips that you want most. For the attack cantrips, you will want them all to use the same ability modifier. Choose charisma, so that you can snag attack cantrips with Pact of the Tome. You'll have to plan ahead to make sure you aren't caught having to take an attack cantrip with your cleric, wizard, fighter, or rogue levels.

With your levels of warlock you should snag eldritch blast and the Agonizing Blast invocation. Pick up hex as a 1st level spell. As long as Charisma is your main stat, you now have all the at-will firepower you are going to need for the entire game. You can relax and not worry about your DPR (if that was something you worried about anyway). So just pick whatever cantrips seem the most fun to you.

I think I'll be starting out as sorcerer, for the con saves. Fighter would probably be more beneficial, but I won't be able to take advantage of the armor proficiency, since I'll be restricted from wearing metal armor once I level into druid.

Looking at the cantrips, I'd not choose poison spray, light, or flame bolt. Poison Spray requires being very close to baddies, and while the damage is great, too many monsters are resistant or immune to poison. Produce Flame can act as a light source and does fire damage, so I can safely ignore Flame Bolt and Light.

aramis erak

Legend
So, I like cantrips. While I'm not fond of a lot of the aspects of 5E (concentration, short durations, and the tiny number of spell slots), I love cantrips.

To that end, I want to create a character who can get as many as possible.

I'm joining a game in a couple of weeks. We start at 6th level, and I rolled some pretty good stats: 12, 12, 12, 13, 16, 14.

I'll have to multiclass in almost every casting class for this to work, but I'm unsure what order I should pick up which class.

Any thoughts or ideas on creating my Master of Minor Magics.

Variant Human Fighter EK - spend every feat on magic initiate. Lots of HP, excellent combat, and plenty of cantrips.
1st level 2 cantrips, 1 1st level
3rd levle 4 cantrips, 3 1st level
4th level 6 cantripts, 5 1st levels
6th level 8 cantrips 6 1st levels
7th level 8 cantrips 7 1st levels 2 second levels
8th level 10 cantrips, 8 1st levels, 2 second levels
10th level 11 cantrips, 8 1st levels, 3 second levels.
12th level 13 cantrips, 9 1st levels, 3 second levels
13th level 13 cantrips, 9 1st levels 3 seconds 2 thirds
14th level 15 cantrips, 10 1st levels, 3 seconds, 2 thirds.
16th level 17 cantrips, 11 1st levels, 3 seconds 3 thirds
19th level 19 cantrips, 12 1st levels, 3 seconds, 3 thirds, 1 fourth.

Note also: Casting a spell as an action gets, at levels 7+, a bonus weapon attack...

EroGaki

First Post
Variant Human Fighter EK - spend every feat on magic initiate. Lots of HP, excellent combat, and plenty of cantrips.
1st level 2 cantrips, 1 1st level
3rd levle 4 cantrips, 3 1st level
4th level 6 cantripts, 5 1st levels
6th level 8 cantrips 6 1st levels
7th level 8 cantrips 7 1st levels 2 second levels
8th level 10 cantrips, 8 1st levels, 2 second levels
10th level 11 cantrips, 8 1st levels, 3 second levels.
12th level 13 cantrips, 9 1st levels, 3 second levels
13th level 13 cantrips, 9 1st levels 3 seconds 2 thirds
14th level 15 cantrips, 10 1st levels, 3 seconds, 2 thirds.
16th level 17 cantrips, 11 1st levels, 3 seconds 3 thirds
19th level 19 cantrips, 12 1st levels, 3 seconds, 3 thirds, 1 fourth.

Note also: Casting a spell as an action gets, at levels 7+, a bonus weapon attack...

You can only take Magic Initiate once.

There is no restriction on it in the rules (neither the general feat rule nor the specific feat itself), and the Sage Advice column mentions being able to take your own class as your MI feat (gaining an extra, but restricted slot).

Actually there is; it's the last sentence in the second paragraph under Feats on p. 165:

"You can take each feat only once, unless the feat's description says otherwise."

So, I like cantrips. While I'm not fond of a lot of the aspects of 5E (concentration, short durations, and the tiny number of spell slots), I love cantrips.

To that end, I want to create a character who can get as many as possible.

I'm joining a game in a couple of weeks. We start at 6th level, and I rolled some pretty good stats: 12, 12, 12, 13, 16, 14.

I'll have to multiclass in almost every casting class for this to work, but I'm unsure what order I should pick up which class.

Any thoughts or ideas on creating my Master of Minor Magics.

I'm going to suggest you tweak your build design away from the multiclassing a little. If by cantrips you mean you love At Will Magic you can do way better than grabbing a level in each class.

The class you are looking for is Warlock.

At level 1 you get the two standard wizardly cantrips. Minor Image and Prestidigitatation. You have a Pact with the Great Old Ones that gives you telepathy at will. (Hi there, non-cantrip at will magic).

You also go (variant) human and take the Actor feat (of all things - I know it's non-magic). +1 CHA takes your Charisma up to 18 - and gives you Advantage on rolls to pretend to be something else. Which is extremely useful with illusion magic.

Level 2 is where we start adding nitrous oxide to the engine. You get two Invocations. One of which gives you Disguise Self At Will. The other of which gives you Silent Image At Will. (Hi again, non-cantrip at will magic). You're a master of minor magic, and a genuine master.

Level 3 we still want you to remain a Warlock. This is for the excellent Pact of the Book. Three cantrips from any class - and attack cantrips use your Charisma. My recommendations would involve Guidance, Thaumaturgy, Druidcraft, and Vicious Mockery (as a last ditch melee attack). Posisbly also Detect Magic - and you'll want Eldritch Blast as the best damaging cantrip in the game but can grab that when you start getting multi-attacks with it at level 5.

And from there I'd grab a couple of extra cantrips with the fourth level feat; speaking personally I'd stay in Warlock the rest of the way as you have a number of further At Will magic tricks you can pick up later. Little things like Devil's Sight, Levitation, a push on your Eldritch Blast (I'd certainly say that's at least a cantrip equivalent), and the ability to alter self at will. Oh, and your Tome of Secrets that can contain any rituals from any classes.

Between Pact of the Tome, Magic Initiate, and Spell Sniper you can pick up six out-of-class cantrips (I know you'd like more). You can hold up your end in combat with a scary multi-attack Eldritch Blast (giving you the best at will DPR of any caster). And you're an incredible illusionist with at will magic that reaches way beyond standard cantrips.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I echo the advice about investing in Warlock. Book of Shadows gives you amazing versatility (pick from any spell list). Plus, as has been stated, Invocations give you that at-will-magic vibe you're looking for. I highly recommend Mask of Many Faces.

Keep in mind that MCing Warlock means you can cast the spells from classes with the "Spellcasting" feature using your Warlock spell slots. This is a Big Deal, because those slots refresh after a short rest. And, at Warlock 3, they'll be 2nd level slots (or higher). 1st level spells cast with higher level slots are often more potent. Sleep, for example, becomes very, very powerful when cast in a high level slot. Note the absence of saving throw.

I caution against grabbing classes just for the boost in # of cantrips. Once you get Eldritch Blast, you really don't need any other attack cantrips. Maybe Shocking Grasp for the "no reactions" feature (it's a good "escape" spell because no reactions = no OAs). Maybe Fire Bolt to start fires beyond Prestidigitation's 10 foot range, and because fire damage is useful. And Sacred Flame is nice for the radiant damage, and because it's a ranged cantrip that doesn't care about cover (obviating the need for Spell Sniper). Okay, I guess there is a need for more attack cantrips. :)

I'd go for these cantrips first (in order of priority)
Prestidigitation
Eldritch Blast
Guidance
Fire Bolt
Sacred Flame
Shocking Grasp (particularly if you have a familiar)
Minor Illusion
Mending

Starting at 6 gives you the luxury of not having to consider playability at low levels. For max fun, I suggest going 3/3 so that you immediately have access to all the 3rd level goodies from two classes.

So:
Start as Warlock 3, for Wis & Cha saves. Failing Wis saves often means losing your turn/losing your action.
Your choice of either Fighter 3 (Eldritch Knight), Rogue 3 (Arcane Trickster), or Bard 3 (either, though Lore seems more in-theme).

You could instead go Wizard 2 (School of Conjuration gives a fun and powerful at-will magical ability) + Cleric 1 (either Light domain for Light, or Nature Domain for Guidance or Mending).

I think Eldritch Knight 3 might deliver most bang for buck. Action Surge is amazing with Eldritch Blast (four attacks!); the self-heal, Defense style, and armor & shield proficiencies vastly increase survivability; and the weapon bond is super cool--especially if you bond a thrown weapon, and call it back after impaling someone. Plus you're only two levels away from Extra Attack, making you a melee threat, and thereafter only one level away from an additional feat (like Magic Initiate, presuming you took Spell Sniper at 1st as a human or at 4th on the way to 6th).

Then again... Arcane Trickster gives you 1 more cantrip than Eldritch Knight: the always-useful Mage Hand. Actually an improved Mage Hand: it's invisible, and much more capable. Plus, Rogue can combo very well with Warlock if you took the Mask of Many Faces invocation: put one of your Expertise choices into Deception. On the other hand, Sneak Attack doesn't work with spells.

Tough choice, but really you can't go wrong. Either one, or Bard, would be a blast.

Quick build:
Concept: Master of minor magics. DPR + tank. Uses Eldritch Blast for ranged damage, but not afraid to mix it up in melee.

Str 14, Con 13, Dex 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 16
HP: 42 AC: 21 (plate + shield + Defense style) Speed: 20 (base 30, -10 because doesn't meet Str requirement for plate)
Attacks: +4 (1d8 + 2 morningstar), or +4 (1d6 + 2 javelin, range 30/120) or +5 (two blasts, each at 1d10 Eldritch Blast).

Key gear: morningstar (bonded), javelin (bonded), bat familiar, plate armor, shield.

Key class features: Defense Style, Action Surge, Second Wind, Pact Magic, Spellcasting, Invocations (see below), Weapon Bond, Fey Presence (Charm or Frighten AOE).

Class Levels:
Warlock 3 (Fey Patron, Chain Pact)
Eldritch Knight 3

Feat: War Caster (advantage on Concentration checks, weapon or shield don't interfere with Somatic components, can cast spell instead of OA).

Invocations: Mask of Many Faces (cast Disguise Self at-will), Book of Ancient Secrets (gain Ritual Casting and two rituals, can add any ritual spell to Book of Shadows).

Cantrips:
Prestidigitation (wlk)
Eldritch Blast (wlk)
Guidance (tome pact)
Sacred Flame (tome pact)
Fire Bolt (tome pact)
Minor Illusion (Eldritch Knight)
Shocking Grasp (Eldritch Knight)

1st level spells:
Hex (Warlock)
Dissonant Whispers (Warlock)
Sleep (Eldritch Knight)
Shield (Eldritch Knight)
Magic Missile (Eldritch Knight)
Find Familiar (Book of Ancient Secrets)
Unseen Servant (Book of Ancient Secrets)

2nd level spells:
Misty Step (Warlock)
Suggestion (Warlock)

You can go Warlock 4 and 5 after this for the additional Cantrip (Minor Illusion), ability score improvement (Cha), invocation (agonizing blast), and spells (Vampiric Touch, Hunger of Hadar).

Or can go Fighter 4 and 5 for the ability score improvement (Str, to get rid of speed penalty and add to weapon attack & dam), Extra Attack, and spell (Protection from Evil & Good--like your other Int-based spells, this spell doesn't care about your Int modifier). And then pick up fighter 6 for another ability score improvement, but choose Resilient (Con) to bump your Con to 14 and gain proficiency in Con saves (and net +1 HP per level).

Last edited:

Remove ads