• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me reduce the No. of rounds/encounter

How would it work halving every creature's HP?

I think that would enable the PCs to drop a creature every round to a certain extent. Obviously concentrating your damage is a good tactic already to get one enemy out of the fight. But with a whole half HP gone already I think the baddies would just drop so very fast. Maybe 3/4? I dunno, I'll see how the 1/2 per level goes, I intend to introduce it 'stealthily' and see if the PCs notice the dif.

Edit: and to reply to a previous poster I missed, pretty much every combat seems to drag- unless the PCs are really struggling. It is not the number of rounds or actual real time BUT the fact that the combat is often won several rounds before it is over....and it is really hard for the monsters to run away!

I have yet to expereince the long-dragged out combat yet, running 9th level characters through the WoBS campaign. We switched to 4e three sessions ago and have yet to run up against a Solo. Most of the encounters so far have been mobs of skirmishers or the 'commander and troops' setup.

I have also been able to have at least one bad guy flee from each fight.

Having considered the options, I think my prefered way to cut down on combat length would be to add a vulnerablity to the bad guy when they are bloodied. I think the amount of vulnerablity would depend on the group and type of bad guys. Perhaps Brute Solo's could gain 15, while normal Solo's gain 10 and elites gain 5. I don't think normal monsters need any reduction of capability.

I also think Solo's should have 4x hps instead of 5x... but next session will proof that for me when they group faces thier first Solo bad guy!

Bayuer

First Post
I put 17lvl Solo in my last session. The fight was so long. Almost 2h. In party all only 3PCs. I figured that dropping HPs to 3/5 maximum will do the trick. And another thing is that you should put minons and normal level range fights offten. They are quick and smooth in play. Only hard ones can last for very very long time.

Last night I tested out a method, and everyone seemed to enjoy the results:
I subtracted each monster's CON score from his HP, gave each a +2 to hit and a +2 to damage. Collectively the encounter group is hitting a little harder, a little more often, but that makes up for their 1-2 hit life-span reduction.

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
This doesn't help much with the Solo or Elites, obviously, but something I've done to speed up battles:

Assume all normal monsters are minions unless they successfully hit a PC and thus 'earn' staying time. If the PCs get initiative, the first few monsters they hit are all minions. It simulates the heroes charging in and immediately stomping heads. It also means that foes who roll well or do something interesting always stick around for the fight - it provides extra in-character 'frustration.' To me, there's nothing worse than getting dropped by a minion or having a minion do something really awesome and then fold up. Using this method front-loads the encounters so that a lot of bodies hit the floor fast, removing that boring clean-up phase at the end.

As for Solos and Elites.. not sure. Probably knock off 20% of their HP off the top and apply a blanket -2 when bloodied.

RyvenCedrylle, I really like the idea of 1st round minions... but doesn't this highly encourage rash actions by the PCs? I would think that there are some encounters I would prefer my players to carefully consider options before charging in like a bull in the china shop...

WYT

First Post
I agree with Primitive Screwhead, the 1º round minions would make characters attack out of control at the beggining of every battle. In order to finish quickly with the "clean-up", I treat the surviving monsters that can't scape like minions. That works fine for my group.

Aloïsius

First Post
I read many people use half HP and +2 hit and damage for monsters. It makes them more dangerous and less durable. However, I wonder if it should be adjusted by monster role : brute with half HP may be a little frail for their intended role.

something else to consider is the composition of the party : when you have only one striker (or none...) it can be very slow. If you have three strikers in the group, however...

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
Now who said I did it every encounter? ;) I don't do it every time and I don't tell the players when I do it. But if it's a large group of baddies, I want to only have to track a few sets of HP and so given the roughly 50/50 chance for a minion to hit a PC at appropriate levels, I find that about 60% of the standard baddies are still minionized and dead within the first three rounds. About 4 in every 10 foes scores a hit in that time period and earns its HP.

I use terrain and traps mostly to discourage the wild suicide charges. Placing baddies about 4-5 squares apart on the field also prevents the wizard from dropping too many bombs while still making a PC pay for running off on his or her own. Love those mob tactics...

Remove ads