• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me rework the half-elf.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
You know, if it weren't for all the gaming and literary tradition of elf-blooded men, I'd say do away with the half-races entirely.

On the other hand, you could always turn the various hybrids into Human racial feats. Make them a little beefier than normal feats, but restrict them to being purchased at character creation and build some drawbacks into them.

After all, there isn't much difference between a Human (minus bonus feat) with a little bit of Elfsight and the Half-Elf variants you guys are bandying about.

edit: And, it clears up the issue of whether or not half-races get the Human versatility, since they're still mechanically Human.

the Lorax

First Post
farscapesg1 said:
I have to agree here. For those of you that give the half-elf the extra skill points, what benefits do humans get? In most campaign worlds (at least published ones), humans are the majority and so they should be the most common race to be selected as a character. If all they get is 1 bonus feat, compared to half-elves, while the half-elves still get their usual bonuses, why would any player choose a human?

The bonus feat alone would actually be enough incentive for me most times, but in this case I actually do have something. IMC, I have 6 different racial groups of humans, each of which has two +1 skills.

Kristivas

First Post
I posted in another half-elf thread this same thing.

In 2nd ed Dragonlance (the box set), Half-Elves were considered the best of both Human and Elves. Their advantage was that they received a +2 to dex, without any minus. Elven speed with human heartyness. I think that's an excellent way to make the half-elf desireable to players. It's always worked for me, and I've never found it too overpowering.

Nyaricus

First Post
Korimyr the Rat said:
You know, if it weren't for all the gaming and literary tradition of elf-blooded men, I'd say do away with the half-races entirely.

well, if you look back into the very basis of contempoary literature, meaning Tolkien and his middle-earth, there were like, what, only 3 important half-elves, ever, Elrond being the most important. Basically though, they were pritty much your common-day elf; just only, well, half-elven.

Following that line of thought, you may just want to keep the PHB's crappy substitute of a "elven race" and have the half elf just have all the Elven abilities as stated, except a +4 bonus to magical sleep effects (no immunity), choose either rapier or longsword prof, choose either short or longbow prof., no Search check for hidden doors, and maybe have (as a comprimise) +2 skill points at first level, and +1 every other level.

but thats if you decide to heed my Tolkien remarks; because although elves and humans could obviously comsumate in his world, it didnt happen too ofter at all (so it wasnt too big of a deal).

Go flip a coin.

Thanee

First Post
Nyaricus said:
well, if you look back into the very basis of contempoary literature, meaning Tolkien and his middle-earth, there were like, what, only 3 important half-elves, ever, Elrond being the most important. Basically though, they were pritty much your common-day elf; just only, well, half-elven.

Half-elves in middle-earth can decide whether they want to be immortal elves, like Elrond, or mortal, like Arwen. They're a bit different to their D&D cousins, really.

Bye
Thanee

Veril

Explorer
Remove the inherent bonus to Diplomacy and Gather Information. That +2 twice.

Let the half elf use +2 to any skill roll twice a day. That nicely represents their adaptability I think.

IndyPendant

First Post

Let the half elf use +2 to any skill roll twice a day. That nicely represents their adaptability I think.

By Jove, Veril, I think you got it! (Although I may go twice per session instead.)

I am going to run this idea past my players this weekend, see what they think.

Even if they don't like it, I'm getting closer to completing this race. Thanks guys. Keep em coming! : )

B1ue

First Post
Veril said:

That is brilliant. Though, I might give this bonus to humans instead, and let Half Elves have a bonus feat.

You gave me somthign to think about, that's for sure.

Nyaricus

First Post
Thanee said:
Half-elves in middle-earth can decide whether they want to be immortal elves, like Elrond, or mortal, like Arwen. They're a bit different to their D&D cousins, really.

thank you, thats what i meant by them being basically the same as elves, just half-elven. also, unless i am going crazy, didnt the pure-blooded elves get to choose to be mortal (or to have lessened lives?)? and yeah, most of the D&D races are different than Tolkien, which is unfortunate, becasue he did them better justice :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads