• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me thwart my DM and save our life! Wand usage...

Pax

Banned
Banned
Hypersmurf said:
They've been very frugal with them, but the halfling took great delight in the opportunity she had to launch one with her sling...

-Hyp.

:D :D :D ROFLMAO:D :D :D

I can just see it now ... in the middle of a desert, suddenly, the Orc raider-captain finds himself TREED.

In an Oak tree.

Nice, green, healthy, and twenty feet tall.

An oak tree that grew instantly from the ground, between his feet.

Lol, gives new meaning to the phrase "UPSIE-dasie!" ... lol ...:D

officeronin

First Post
Charge and sunder. Wood is what, hardness 10? Every 2 points above 10 chops a wand...

Unless the wand has a +1 enchanment bonus, anyone can do it...

OfficeRonin

kreynolds

First Post
officeronin said:
Charge and sunder. Wood is what, hardness 10?

Well, a spear only has hardness 5, so I doubt a wooden wand would have a hardness higher than 4, if even that high. Probably like a 2 or something. I think there might even be a suggestion for this in the FAQ, but I'm not certain. I'll go check.

EDIT: Nah. Its in the DMG. Hardness 5, Hit Points 5, AC 7, Break DC 16.

Last edited:

Azlan

First Post
Tsyr said:
our DM pulled something evil on us... he had a character that made a Multi-Wand of magic missle... Basicly, 10 Wands of Magic Missle slaved together to the same activation word. Enough damage pouring out of that to kill most of the party... And I'll be frank. The guy just *doesn't* know the rules all that well. If you can prove him wrong, he normaly goes with the correct way... but unless you can prove him wrong, he wont. So I'm trying to prove him wrong as conclusivly as I can.

Your DM uses a gatling wand of magic missiles on your group, and you think all you need do is prove him wrong as far as the rules go... ?

:eek:

Really, the title of your post, "Help me thwart my DM and save our life!" says it all. Once a campaign becomes a game of "players vs the DM", it's hopeless, because it's not a fair game and no one can really win.

BTW: Tsyr, I truly hope this isn't one of your, ahem, sterling group of roleplayers that you touted about, in a previous thread.

;)

Last edited:

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
HeavyG said:

So, a Half-Black Dragon Pyrohydra with a Magic missile chain gun (with underbarrel Quaal's Feather Token launcher) strapped to his back ?

Make it Pseudonatural and I'm all set.

Actually, it would be pretty cool if it shot incorporeal Acorn Tokens: Tree.

They're useless against corporeal creatures, but at least they can't be Disintegrated! :D

Andargor

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Actually, it would be pretty cool if it shot incorporeal Acorn Tokens: Tree.

They're useless against corporeal creatures, but at least they can't be Disintegrated! :D

Unless a Druid Awakens the tree. Then it'd be an incorporeal creature, and subject to Disintegrate...

Actually, I'm loving the idea of incorporeal trees. I think having an incorporeal forest in your courtyard would be pretty cool.

Plus, I have this image in my head of a Druid using an oak tree, an incorporeal oak tree, and Tree Stride to approximate Ghostform...

-Hyp.

Azlan

First Post
kreynolds said:
Can you justify the use of a Chaingun of Magic Missile against an 8th level party? I don't see this as a matter of creativity. I see this as a matter of a lack thereof.

FYI: Technically, it would not be a chaingun of magic missiles. A chaingun is a single-barrel heavy machinegun or autocannon that uses an automated chain-feed for its ammo, thus assuring the gun will not jam in the case of a dud. This does not increase the gun's rate of fire, which is relatively the same as any other single-barrel machinegun or autocannon. A chaingun is what you find sticking out from the bottom-front of an AH-64 "Apache" helicopter.

The device that Tysr's DM used on his group would be a gatling wand of magic missiles. A gatling gun is a revolving multi-barrel machinegun or autocannon, which you find sticking out from the nose of an A-10 "Warthog" jet. These guns have incredible rates of fire.

I think it's 3D shooters such as Tribes and Unreal Tournament that have gotten these terms mixed up, since they use the term "chaingun" for the multi-barrel, man-portable machinegun that can be wielded in those games.

And BTW: The term "minigun" (which you also find misused in 3D shooters) is not synonymous with gatling gun. A minigun is a certain type of gatling gun that uses 7.62mm ammunition, like the one Arnold hosed down the parking lot with in Terminator 2. (Or was that a 5.56mm "six pack"? I'm not sure.)

For what it's worth...

Last edited:

GMVictory

Explorer
Another in-game tactic I suggest is that you basically dare the npc to kill off the group. The group says, "No, we won't do what you want. You tell us what the deal is or kill us. You obviously need us for something or you would have done it yourself. So choose: kill us, tell us what you want, or leave us alone."

If the npc kills everyone, well, problem solved. Time to discuss with the DM just what exactly he was trying to accomplish with this guy.

If he talks, then negotiations, deals could be made, etc.

If he leaves you alone would be a success.

Lastly, the npc begins tossing the Charm/Mind Control/Do What I Want You To Do spell and the PCs do it anyway. Time to discuss with the DM just what exactly he was trying to accomplish with this guy.

Otherwise, as I posted earlier:

"If the npc wants you to do something then think of it this way, your group is being coerced by a more powerful person. Unfortunately, you've got to obey until you can figure a way to turn the tables, escape, or kill him."

I still believe in-game solutions are always better than meta-game ones.

Tsyr

Explorer
Azlan said:
BTW: Tsyr, I truly hope this isn't one of your, ahem, sterling group of roleplayers that you touted about, in a previous thread.

LOL, no. I DM that group.

Though actualy, when given a character to play, this guy does a good job of it... He just doesn't think on his feet well.

Remove ads