• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Help me utilise Dominated

Colmarr

First Post
For any who were interested, it was the thief that ended up dominated. He got one non-sneak-attack shot off at his allies before making his save. I next tried to dominate the monk (to access his AoE at-wills) but missed, and then didn't get to use the power again.

Still, that one round was enough to send the combat down to the wire, and one PC ended up dying (went from 9 hp to negative bloodied in one hit from a lurker).

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Since this thread has come up again, I thought I'd mention that at Genghis Con this past weekend, I used my house-ruled dominated condition (immediately take an at-will action of the dominator's choice; then you're dazed on your turn but choosing your own action; then if you fail your end-of-turn save, you take immediately take another at-will action of the dominator's choice). This was for a low-Paragon LFR game, and the rule seemed to be very well received by my players. One PC was dominated for two rounds, but he was still able to contribute to the battle.

So, I'm sticking with my house rule for now.

pemerton

Legend
I really like using dominate in a memorable way. No one remembers getting hit a bunch by enemies and dropping, but they will remember things like:

1) Go stand on the trap door (which the enemy will open next turn)
I haven't done this literally using a Dominate power, but did use it as a consequence of failing a skill check in a skill challenge negotiation with a Pact Hag.

Remove ads